Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can You Recover Money for Improvements You Made to Your Partner's House

My question involves law for the State of: Michigan
    I have lived with my girlfriend for 3 years. We bought the house together. Her name is the only one on it. She wants to end the relationship. I have put a lot of time and money in to home improvements into this house and have paid half the mortgage the whole time. Do I have recourse for the money I have invested into this home

Default Re: Recourse for Home Improvements

Unless you had/have an agreement that would say something like, "If we breakup, you owe me for the money I paid into the house," what you did was give your girlfriend one very nice gift for Christmas.

You lived in the home for 3 years. Consider the mortgage payments the rent you paid to live in her home. And if you bought the house together, why is the property titled in only her name?

It's her house and everything you paid for the purchase, the improvements, and the mortgage would likely be considered gifts absent some agreement to the contrary.

So what are the facts where you find yourself in this position?

I had subpar credit at the time and could not get financing. She could so she financed the house. I have paid for half of everything done to remodel the house. All the documents to prove that I did. I understand that half the mortgage would be payment for living there. I only want what I put into the house. I did ALL the work myself.

Quote Quoting Fastman1
    View Post
    I had subpar credit at the time and could not get financing. She could so she financed the house. I have paid for half of everything done to remodel the house. All the documents to prove that I did. I understand that half the mortgage would be payment for living there. I only want what I put into the house. I did ALL the work myself.
    You aren't going to get and credit for your labor, but you have a shot at getting credit for the materials you paid for on the basis of "unjust enrichment", but its a long shot. How much money are we actually talking about?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    You aren't going to get and credit for your labor, but you have a shot at getting credit for the materials you paid for on the basis of "unjust enrichment", but its a long shot. How much money are we actually talking about?
    In the ballpark of 5,000 in materials

Quote Quoting Fastman1
    View Post
    Ok, think this through...if you were to sue and get a judgment against her for the $5000.00 does she actually have that kind of money available to give you, or would you have to go through serious collection efforts?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    You aren't going to get and credit for your labor, but you have a shot at getting credit for the materials you paid for on the basis of "unjust enrichment", but its a long shot.
    It's not a long shot; it's a no shot. There's nothing unjust about guy paying for improvements on a home in which he lives. If the OP wanted to be compensated for these improvements in the event of a breakup, he could and should have refused to contribute to them without an appropriate written agreement.

I understand how frustrated you must be but based on what the others said, this seems like a no win situation. It might be better to chalk it up to a lesson learned and don't co-mingle money into a house without being married first rather than waste your time and additional money pursuing this.

Quote Quoting Fastman1
    View Post
    That's about $138 per month over the 3 year period. Add that to half the mortgage payment and the total is still rent.

Default Re: Can You Recover Money for Improvements You Made to Your Partner's House

Ok. Can I legally take what I have bought with documentation that I paid for that item(s) in full

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast