Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Insurance Company Won't Cover My Accident and the Other Party Wants 9k

In CA, no dealer will let you drive the car off their lot without showing proof of insurance.

Default Re: Insurance Company Won't Cover My Accident and the Other Party Wants 9k

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    I have no "agent." I deal directly with the company that underwrites the policy, but your snarky doesn't help. You were the one that claims such a law exists, but you have presented ZERO proof that such exists. I sincerely doubt it does. California laws are rather minimal in what insurers must or must not do with regard to whether they cover someone.
    Which term "law" I retracted in the following post.

Call it a law, a regulation, a policy or whatever. Every insurance company in CA, and probably the nation, automatically covers a newly purchased car for a period of time. Do they have this policy because they are nice guys...probably not.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    Do they have this policy because they are nice guys...probably not.
    No, they definitely do not do it because they are "nice guys." On the other hand, most of you what you see in policy is not required by any federal or state law. So why do insurance companies include the provisions they do? Because insurance is a competitive business and providing certain services or coverages, like allowing your coverage on an old car to extend to a new one you buy for a limited period of time is the sort of thing that could help attract and keep customers.

Massachusetts too.

(This was supposed to have the quote about CA in it.)

Not nice guys, but they do that because they want to hook you into continuing coverage with them rather than shopping around to another company.
    I can guarantee you that there's no law here that requires it, yet my company still does. They balance the risk to someone having an accident in the grace period vs. the opportunity of getting captive coverage.

California has rules against CANCELLATION of existing policies and the ability for price shopping, but to my knowledge there is nothing in the codes that requires automatic coverage.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

To return to the OP's question, the grace period begins, if there is one, when you acquire the car, NOT when you title it and register it. Your ignorance doesn't provide you a free pass, it just leads you holding the bag because, you didn't have insurance when you had the accident by the terms of your policy.

Don't use the word "technically". You were either within the terms of your contract or you weren't, there's no technicality there.

At this point you really have two choices, just eat the $9000 or contact an attorney and spill the details and go to court.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3