Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Out of Jurisdiction Police Vehicle

Quote Quoting mr.bungle
    View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the replies. I just think this guy was being a bit of a jackass but whatever. No harm no foul.
    That's quite an assumption on your part without any stated evidence. Sure, it is possible that the cop was just late for dinner, it is at least equally likely that his/her actions were proper. It is not uncommon for cops with specialized training or equipment (think K-9 officers or drug recognition experts) to respond to areas outside of their normal patrol areas. Also, sometimes even incidents that don't routinely make the news may require more manpower than the local agency has available. There are multiple perfectly valid reasons for a cop to respond with lights outside of their normal patrol area.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    (As a note, I did precisely that some many years back when I was returning from the Peace Officer memorial.)

I can get into greater detail if you'd like
    I would like a little more detail. If the offender would have contested the citation would you have even showed up to court?

Quote Quoting RJR
    View Post
    In Ohio even the State Highway Patrol can not enforce criminal laws off of state property, some exceptions though if the Governor acts on it for riots, etc.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say there, but it's not literally true. The OSHP has jurisdiction on all public roadways in the state as well as all state property. This includes county and local roads as well as the Ohio Turnpike. They also have enforcement jurisdicton on all motor carriers within the state and to some extent even private roads. You are correct that outside of the governors declaration, they don't have criminal enforcement authority in other situations. They are also authroized to act in support of physical danger or a threat of such to a peace officer or private citizen or other emergency situations.

Quote Quoting Bbonez
    View Post
    I would like a little more detail. If the offender would have contested the citation would you have even showed up to court?
    Of course ... or, at least I would have tried. Given the fact that I worked about 500 miles away, my agency might have groused at sending me that far for a traffic ticket.

I called for CHP to respond and they issued the citation. I was indicated on the cite as the "Arresting" officer, and the CHP officer was the "Issuing" officer.

Had the cite occurred in San Diego County, I would not have needed to call an officer of a local primary jurisdiction as I had the authority to act as if anywhere in the county was my primary jurisdiction.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say there, but it's not literally true. The OSHP has jurisdiction on all public roadways in the state as well as all state property. This includes county and local roads as well as the Ohio Turnpike. They also have enforcement jurisdicton on all motor carriers within the state and to some extent even private roads. You are correct that outside of the governors declaration, they don't have criminal enforcement authority in other situations. They are also authroized to act in support of physical danger or a threat of such to a peace officer or private citizen or other emergency situations.
    I know they have traffic jurisdiction throughout the state, what I am saying it according to Title 55 ORC, it restricts the criminal code arrest jurisdiction off of state property as defined, except as listed. I have read case law on that before also.

If I remember the case right, a OHP trooper knew a man had a warrant for his arrest. He knew where he lived and went and arrested him. The Court ruled the arrest invalid as a Power of the OSP, but let it stand anyway.

Quote Quoting mr.bungle
    View Post
    I was driving home from work this afternoon when a city PD police vehicle for a city about 40 miles north and in another county was speeding in the #1 lane approx 80-90mph for at least 10 miles before I exited.
    And how did you guess his speed? Did you pace him?
    Quote Quoting mr.bungle
    View Post
    I was behind them for a while keeping a good distance.
    My guess is that you did pace him then?
    Quote Quoting mr.bungle
    View Post
    It didn't seem like they were on duty due to the location and the way they were driving. They had been on the freeway prior to my entry as well. This is an area that is exclusively LASD and CHP territory.
    If the officer were in a marked cruiser, they were most likely on-duty.
    Quote Quoting mr.bungle
    View Post
    I don't want to take any action but it bothered me a bit that they would act this way. I captured it on my dash camera as well. Just grossly curious.
    I wouldn't advise you take any action at all because your dashcam is incriminating evidence against yourself.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2