Default Negotiating for the Division of Belongings in a Divorce

This is in Texas. My husband has emotionally cheated once, then I found a message of him asking a girl to come over at 1am to the place he was staying. (He wanted time to think about our marriage.) I have not cheated or abused. He also been abusive once in a while.

I came into our current 7 year, 4 month marriage with a six figure inheritance. I have not been able to work our entire marriage, but he said it wasnt a big deal because he had a decent job. I am hearing different things from multiple sources that he is/is not entitled to half of that.

He is trying to screw me over since i called him out on calling a girl over. He also says he is guaranteed to screw me over with support and make sure i get nothing.

I am not eligible for disability because i havent worked in 10 years due to mental health issues. I plan on looking for a consult locally, but he is stopping by tomorrow to talk about next steps and would like to know my options.

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Husband is Coming Home to "Chat" About Our Next Steps

Inheritance is not considered community property in Texas. Unless you want to get back together with your husband. You should not see or talk to him. Hire a attorney. Follow the attorneys advice. Your husband is trying to scare and intimidate you.

Call the cops if he shows up. Don't let him in. Tell the cops about the abuse and that you are terrified of him. They are likely to send him away. Then get a lawyer and see if you can get a restraining order and file for divorce.

Quote Quoting Undercoverangel
    View Post
    My husband has emotionally cheated once
    What does "emotionally cheated" mean?

View Post
    I came into our current 7 year, 4 month marriage with a six figure inheritance. I have not been able to work our entire marriage, but he said it wasnt a big deal because he had a decent job. I am hearing different things from multiple sources that he is/is not entitled to half of that.
    Assuming that none of these "multiple sources" are attorneys, I suggest you not concern yourself with what they say. As for the substance of this, I assume this means you inherited money before your marriage. The question is whether, after you got married, you kept all of this inheritance money separate from any marital assets and in a separate bank account to which your husband had no access. Did you do that? If not, please explain what you did with the money? Also, how much of this $100,000-999,999.99 inheritance remains after over seven years?

View Post
    he is stopping by tomorrow to talk about next steps and would like to know my options.
    Not really clear what you want to know. Can you clarify?

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    Unless you want to get back together with your husband. You should not see or talk to him.
    Why not?

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    Your husband is trying to scare and intimidate you.
    Unless you're personally acquainted with the OP and/or her husband, this is nothing but ignorant speculation.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Call the cops if he shows up. Don't let him in. Tell the cops about the abuse and that you are terrified of him. They are likely to send him away. Then get a lawyer and see if you can get a restraining order and file for divorce.
    I disagree with all of this, except for the suggestion that the OP seek legal counsel. Please do not call the cops unless a crime is committed or likely to be committed. The cops have more important things to do. Please do not tell the cops "you are terrified of him" unless that is true, which your post doesn't suggest. Whether the cops are "likely to send him away" depends on where this encounter occurs. If it occurs at the marital home, then he has as much right to be there as the OP. Finally, nothing in the original post suggests a restraining order would be warranted.

1. Sponsored Links