Default Real Estate Title Law in Georgia

I'll try to make a long story short. On Feb. 28, I was awarded the home previously owned by my husband and I, his half of any equity to be considered in lieu of child support, since he is serving a 15 year prison sentence for aggravated assault (I was the victim). My attorney assured me the divorce decree would serve as adequate documentation that I now own the house. I went to the superior court clerk and made sure they had it. When the deed to my house is viewed, the divorce decree is attached-I have verified this.

I'm trying to get the house listed for sale and the service I'm using is requesting to see a new title with just my name on it. The superior court clerk's office says the divorce decree should be enough...and I have provided it to the service.

so now what? was my attorney in error? or is the mls service just being picky?

thank you to anyone who can help!

Default Re: Real Estate Title Law in Georgia

Here in Michigan, the divorce judgment can include language that if one spouse won't execute a deed to transfer title, the divorce judgment can be recorded instead of a deed. I suspect your divorce judgment says something similar. If your ex- is cooperative and will quitclaim the property to you, things would probably progress more smoothly, but if that's not an option then you'll have to try to proceed based on what the divorce judgment provides.

Default Re: Real Estate Title Law in Georgia

um....cooperative is not a word that would describe my ex. But thanks for your insight!

1. Sponsored Links