Default Can You be Prosecuted for Crimes Committed in Another Country

Can a us felon caught in mexico with guns and drugs be prosecuted in us as well? Felon was detained family paid a thousand dollars to get him out of jail and he was set to go to court in mexico then fled and has returned to USA

Default Re: Us Felon Caught in Mexico with Guns/Drugs

The US and Mexico have a bilateral extradition treaty. He can be picked up in the US for crimes committed in Mexico and extradited back to Mexico.

I don't think he can be prosecuted in the US for crimes committed in Mexico.

But, chances are, he'll commit crimes in the US for which he can be prosecuted.

Quote Quoting curiousabtlaw
    View Post
    Can a us felon caught in mexico with guns and drugs be prosecuted in us as well? Felon was detained family paid a thousand dollars to get him out of jail and he was set to go to court in mexico then fled and has returned to USA
    If Mexico chooses to extradite him he can be picked up in the US and returned to Mexico for trial. Certainly, if he is ever stupid enough to go back to Mexico he could end up in prison.

Quote Quoting curiousabtlaw
    View Post
    Can a us felon caught in mexico with guns and drugs be prosecuted in us as well?
    Can he/she be prosecuted for what? Also, what exactly do you mean when you describe this person as an "us felon"? Even if I assume you meant "U.S. felon," that could mean at least a few things.

Possession of illegal drugs/guns in a non-U.S. jurisdiction does not violate any U.S. law, but if the person is on parole or probation, it could be a parole/probation violation. And, of course, this criminal certainly could be extradited back to Mexico.

If by US Felon you mean somenoe already convicted of a felony in the US, it is illegal "to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce." Just depending on what exactly he was doing in Mexico may or may not get him afoul of that law.

1. Sponsored Links