Default Is it Police Harassment for the Police to Repeatedly Follow You or Wait for You

My question involves police conduct in the State of: Oregon
    Back in July boyfriend was pulled over in my car and they found drugs. Now I get pulled over all the time. But this last time was just to much. They spotted my car when I was parked waiting for my friend to deliver propane for heat to someone. So when I pulled out the turned around to follow me. I wasn't worried I wasn't doing anything wrong and drove to my next destination a restaurant to eat. I was there an hour . I get in my car drive away and not even a block away get pulled over by not one but two police cars and one is a k9 unit. I'm not worried I didn't do anything wrong for them to pull me over. I'm told I didn't come to a complete stop when pulling out of the parking lot. That was bull but I didn't argue. Before the one officer could run my information the k9 unit proceeded to go around my car two times if asked I would have said they could search I had nothing to hide. . How is it right to wait that long and involve a k9 unit than give bogus reason to pull me over just to check my car. . I feel I'm targeted and being hurrassed

Default Re: How Long Can the Police Follow and Wait then Follow You Again to Be Harrasment

Quote Quoting Stormyeyes
    View Post
    My question involves police conduct in the State of: Oregon
    Back in July boyfriend was pulled over in my car and they found drugs. Now I get pulled over all the time. But this last time was just to much. They spotted my car when I was parked waiting for my friend to deliver propane for heat to someone. So when I pulled out the turned around to follow me. I wasn't worried I wasn't doing anything wrong and drove to my next destination a restaurant to eat. I was there an hour . I get in my car drive away and not even a block away get pulled over by not one but two police cars and one is a k9 unit. I'm not worried I didn't do anything wrong for them to pull me over. I'm told I didn't come to a complete stop when pulling out of the parking lot. That was bull but I didn't argue. Before the one officer could run my information the k9 unit proceeded to go around my car two times if asked I would have said they could search I had nothing to hide. . How is it right to wait that long and involve a k9 unit than give bogus reason to pull me over just to check my car. . I feel I'm targeted and being hurrassed
    Why do you think the police are targeting you? Do you and/or any of your associates use or deal in drugs? It seems that this is what the police are looking for.

As for your thread title question, "How long can the police follow and wait(?)", the answer is: As long as they want to. Whether or not it is "harassment" is subjective you might be hard pressed to prove that the contacts are malicious in some way. And, so long as the stop is for a lawful reason, the underlying motive is generally not an issue (with some few exceptions).

If you and your associates come back clean on every contact, eventually the police will stop wanting to waste their time with you. Clearly, they think there is something to be gained by making contact with you, so until that perception is changed, the activity may well continue.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: How Long Can the Police Follow and Wait then Follow You Again to Be Harrasment

Quote Quoting Stormyeyes
    View Post
    Back in July boyfriend was pulled over in my car and they found drugs.
    I hope you have dumped that boyfriend by now.

Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.

Watching suspected criminals is what we call good police work.

Yep. And a boyfriend who is a known dope user (and likely much more) is likely to draw attention to those he associates with.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

If you should experience a break from your whimpering over the inconvenience, I suggest that you read subsections (1), (2) and (4) of Section 131.588 of the Oregon Revised Statutes.

There you might find some solace in the awareness and the good fortune that the state didn't opt to exercise its criminal forfeiture authority by seizing and forfeiting your rights to the vehicle that you loaned to your p. o. s. boyfriend in order to transport the contraband!

While I pretty much agree with the other answers, I will say something different. Keep an accurate log of all stops. Date, time, name of officer, what was said and done. Maybe film the stops with your cell phone. (Possible state law issue with that). If this keeps happening, go to Internal Affairs and file a complaint. Also, do not do or say anything they can use against you.

Not your question, but following you and stopping you are not the same thing. And one stop without cause is very different then 10 stops without cause. Stopping someone because they look "suspicious" gets old after a while.

A long time I was running after a bus and stopped by a police officer with a half drawn gun. I was very careful to limit what I said, and did. Kept my hands in plain sight and moved very slowly. I said things like "yes officer", "no officer", and "I am reaching into my back pocket for my identification officer". I did nothing to escalate the situation and was happy to get out there alive with a "pedestrian crossing against a red light ticket (no auto traffic in any direction. One time only, never repeated. NEVER escalate a police problem. NEVER give them anything to work with. Do whatever it is you have to do after the police have left.

Wow. I just wanted some answers about the law. I have done nothing wrong and as for the boyfriend I said he got pulled over and they found drugs he wasn't the one with drugs. Passenger was. Can't control what other people do. But I guess I just went to the wrong place for answers. And this wasn't the first time getting pulled over it's happened several times now. . But thank you for your judgement

The legal answer to your question is, the police can follow you around pretty much as long as they want to.

Quote Quoting Stormyeyes
    View Post
    Wow. I just wanted some answers about the law. I have done nothing wrong and as for the boyfriend I said he got pulled over and they found drugs he wasn't the one with drugs. Passenger was. Can't control what other people do. But I guess I just went to the wrong place for answers. And this wasn't the first time getting pulled over it's happened several times now. . But thank you for your judgement
    Here's the thing, the police did not just pick your name out of a hat. They are making contact with you because something you or someone you frequently associate with was engaged in some form of activity that drew their attention. If they keep stopping you and striking out, they will eventually grow weary of stopping you. But, understand that legally they can follow you all they want and they can stop you when they want provided they do so for a lawful reason. Stay clean, keep people using, buying, or selling dope out of the car, and eventually they'll grow tired of the contacts. Keep in mind that you are cloaked with the same taint of those who you keep company with.

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,

1. Sponsored Links