Default Can I Represent My Friend in Court

My question involves court procedures for the state of: california

my friend is being sued, and a court date is coming soon. He is representing himself.
    He cannot attend the proceedings because of work, can I speak for him as a proxy, following his wishes re this matter?

do I need something in writing to attest to the fact that I can speak re his directives in this matter, and agree to any conclusions?

Thanks

Default Re: Can I Represent My Friend in Court

Quote Quoting jeffdickey
    View Post
    My question involves court procedures for the state of: california

my friend is being sued, and a court date is coming soon. He is representing himself.
    He cannot attend the proceedings because of work, can I speak for him as a proxy, following his wishes re this matter?

do I need something in writing to attest to the fact that I can speak re his directives in this matter, and agree to any conclusions?

Thanks
    No, you absolutely cannot do that, and he absolutely has to attend court unless he is prepared to completely lose the case plus have additional problems added for him.

No you cannot

He cannot attend the proceedings because of work
    He will have to take the time off to attend court.

If he doesn't, the people suing him are likely going to get a default judgment against him.

On the other hand, if he has no defense against what he is being sued for, like he owes the money, then they are likely to win whether he shows up or not.

Quote Quoting jeffdickey
    View Post
    No, you cannot represent another person in a court in California unless you are an attorney licensed in California or an attorney from other state who has obtained permission from the California courts to engage in the representation. The court will not permit it and your attempt to do it may amount to the unauthorized practice of law.

Moreover, even if you could do that, the fact that he wouldn't be there is still likely to be a problem since his own testimony and/or evidence for which he needs to provide the foundation is likely needed to present whatever defense he has. So it is likely that even if represented he would still have to show up anyway.

1. Sponsored Links