Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do You Have to Change Your Birth Certificate After a Name Change

My question involves name change laws in the State of: CALIFORNIA

My question, if you petition for a name change, and are granted the change, is it necessary to change the birth certificate to reflect the new name? or can the original bc still be retained?

Jeff

Default Re: Have to Change Bc or Not

You don't have to change the birth certificate.

Just attach the court order to your birth certificate and keep them in your permanent records.

Some places that require a copy if your birth certificate. May or may not accept the name change. Government agencies will not accept a name change. Unless the birth certificate has been changed.

Not only is it not necessary, it's not possible. It is advisable to notify the vital records department with the order and they will add a notation to your record just to make things clear.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHS...%20(01-18).pdf

Quote Quoting jeffdickey
    View Post
    My question, if you petition for a name change, and are granted the change, is it necessary to change the birth certificate to reflect the new name?
    No. Nor would it make any sense to "change the birth certificate." If you were born "Bobo Zagurski," your subsequent change of your name to "Professor Catfish" would not change that fact.

Quote Quoting jeffdickey
    View Post
    can the original bc still be retained?
    Not really sure what this means, but no law would prohibit anyone in possession of the original or a copy of the birth certificate from retaining it.

Any place that requires legal proof of a name. Is going to require a birth certificate or driver's license. A person cannot have the name on their driver's license changed without a copy of their birth certificate, marriage license or divorce decree. A copy of a person's birth certificate with one name and court papers changing their name. Does not mean any place will accept the court name change without the name changed on the birth certificate.

I can't even parse your last statement, Mercy. It is NOT possible to change a name on a birth certificate in California following a court-ordered name change. It doesn't happen. What the state vital records people will do, if provided with a copy of the order, append the birth record with a notice (AKA entry) that the name was legally changed. However, this is entirely optional as a convenience. It's not a prerequisite for any of the official documetns that I'm aware of (certainly not the Social Security Adminsitration or the CA DMV). It's really not much different than a woman who changes her name on marriage. You take the birth certificate and your marriage certificate or court order or whatever the legal basis fo the change is to the DMV and they will issue you a license under the oproper name. The real sticking point with the Cal DMV is you have to get your SSN fixed FIRST before they'll process the license. They don't care if you did the AKA thing at the vital records department.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    A person cannot have the name on their driver's license changed without a copy of their birth certificate, marriage license or divorce decree.
    Or a court order granting a name change petition.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    A copy of a person's birth certificate with one name and court papers changing their name. Does not mean any place will accept the court name change without the name changed on the birth certificate.
    What sort of "place" are you contemplating? Any governmental entity certainly will accept a court order, and, as I stated before, the notion that a birth certificate could be changed is absurd.

SSA requires the birth certificate be changed. If the birth certificate is not changed. SSA will not change the name on the social security number.

Completely untrue. As I said, you can't get such a birth certificate change in California.
    The SSA certainly DOES NOT require it. Here's is their official procedure: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10513.pdf

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast