Default Can a Parent Change a Child's Name Without Court Proceedings

My question involves name change laws in the State of: California/Florida.

When I was 10 months old, my birth father passed away. When I was 8 years old, my Mother remarried and decided to change my name without going to court. Since then, all of my school records, military record AND social security information are under the new name. With a name change becoming necessary for licensing and passport requirements, I can't find information to assist me. I was born in California, but currently live in Florida. Which state do I need to petition and where can I find these requirements? Thank you.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: Mother Changed Last Name when I Was 8 Without Court Proceedings

If all of those records are in your current name then there must have been records of the name change. I'd check CA.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Default Re: Mother Changed Last Name when I Was 8 Without Court Proceedings

SSA,requires a birth certificate to change a child's name on their social security number. They also requires birth certificate for a child to be issued a social security number. A child's name on their birth certificate. Cannot be changed without a judge agreeing to it.

Default Re: Can a Parent Change a Child's Name Without Court Proceedings

Quote Quoting ChiefJeff
    View Post
    Which state do I need to petition and where can I find these requirements?
    You can petition for a name change in the state of your present domicile, which from your post is presumably Florida. Start here.

1. Sponsored Links