Default Rights to a Home Being Purchased from a Spouse's Parents

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Mississippi.
    My wife and I entered into a purchase agreement with her parents for a home which is in their names. The agreement was signed by all parties and notarized. We have been making payments on the home for five years also paid property taxes and insurance. A contingency clause was added that if by a given time the home was not paid off that it would be sold and money split between her parents and us. Unfortunately my wife and I are divorcing and obviously the home will not be paid off by both of us within the time specified. My question is do I have a legal right to any of the money which I have paid and/or entitled to my share of the value of the house?

Default Re: Purchase Agreement

Quote Quoting HOTTYTODDY
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: Mississippi.
    My wife and I entered into a purchase agreement with her parents for a home which is in their names. The agreement was signed by all parties and notarized. We have been making payments on the home for five years also paid property taxes and insurance. A contingency clause was added that if by a given time the home was not paid off that it would be sold and money split between her parents and us. Unfortunately my wife and I are divorcing and obviously the home will not be paid off by both of us within the time specified. My question is do I have a legal right to any of the money which I have paid and/or entitled to my share of the value of the house?
    You would really need to run the entire agreement by a local attorney to have any idea whether or not you could make a claim for any of the equity at this time.

Default Re: Purchase Agreement

Quote Quoting HOTTYTODDY
    View Post
    My question is do I have a legal right to any of the money which I have paid and/or entitled to my share of the value of the house?
    Hard to say without at least seeing all the figures.

But if you do have some appreciable stake in it, it's going to take hiring yourself a lawyer to get it.

1. Sponsored Links