Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Renewing a Driver's License With No Birth Certificate and No Social Security Number

I was born & raised in Los Angeles. Moved to San Diego applied for a ca drivers license which was issued to me back in 1990 no problem. Got married had 2 kids got divorced ( I have marriage certificate kids birth certificates, & divorce papers) My issue is that the lady that gave birth to me had me at home & never took the time to register me much less apply for me to get a social security card. Why is the DMV giving me such a hard time on renewing my license? Dont they have a picture of me & my finger prints on file? What options do I have? Asking my mother for anything is not an option. She was murdered in 1991 & was never told who the man that got her pregnant was.

Default Re: No Birth Certificate No Social Security Expired California Drivers License

Quote Quoting scorpio51904
    View Post
    I was born & raised in Los Angeles. Moved to San Diego applied for a ca drivers license which was issued to me back in 1990 no problem. Got married had 2 kids got divorced ( I have marriage certificate kids birth certificates, & divorce papers) My issue is that the lady that gave birth to me had me at home & never took the time to register me much less apply for me to get a social security card. Why is the DMV giving me such a hard time on renewing my license? Dont they have a picture of me & my finger prints on file? What options do I have? Asking my mother for anything is not an option. She was murdered in 1991 & was never told who the man that got her pregnant was.
    The reason that the DMV is requiring documents like your SSA card, birth certificate or passport, etc., is to comply with the federal government Real ID standard. Licenses that do not comply with that standard cannot be used to get through security at airports, federal buildings and federal courthouses, and other places secured by the federal government. Part of Real ID requires the DMV to verify citizenship and SSN.

Do you have a passport? That ought suffice as proof of citizenship so that you don't need a birth certificate. If you don't have a passport, you can apply for one and provide evidence of citizenship with something other than a birth certificate.

Your mother had no legal obligation to you to get you a Social Security card. Indeed, the only reason that parents tend to get their kids Social Security Numbers (SSNs) is to claim the kids as dependents on their federal (and perhaps state) income tax returns. But you would have needed a SSN to get a job and to pay federal income tax once you started working. Have you got a SSN? If you have a SSN, you should be able to get a replacement SS card if you no longer have one. I had to do that a few years ago when I had to get my license renewed (in a state different from California) and now had to prove my SSN to meet the new Real ID requirements. It was not difficult to get a new card. I went into a SSA office and they mailed me the replacement card within 2 weeks after that. You may be able to do it online now.

Note that California is one of the limited number of states that will still issue a non Real ID compliant license. If all you want is a license to drive and do not need it to get on a plane or enter a federal facility, etc., then ask the DMV about the non Real ID option. You shouldn't need a birth certificate for that.

Default Re: No Birth Certificate No Social Security Expired California Drivers License

Thank you for that information. I do not have a passport. I understand about the DMV complying with federal regulations, If I have a California state issued number but is expired wouldn't they have my info on file? Like my picture / finger prints?

View Post
    Thank you for that information. I do not have a passport.
    Well, look at the requirements to get a passport. If you can meet those requirements and get a passport then that should help you with the birth certificate problem.

View Post
    If I have a California state issued number but is expired wouldn't they have my info on file? Like my picture / finger prints?
    Maybe. If you have been a California resident all these years and kept that current they may have info they can use. I recently moved back to a state that I had left nearly 20 years ago. Much to my surprise, the DMV of that state had all my old license info, including photo and fingerprint, and they treated my license application like a rewewal as a result, saving me a few bucks and I didn't need to have all the documents they otherwise would want to see. But that state is not California and I have no idea what California keeps and how useful that data is for meeting the REAL ID requirements.

There were notices that went out warning you that while you were grandfathered into the RealID, if you let your license expire, you'd have to show proof.

I suspect the first step is to find you birth certificate. If you were really born in LA, you should be able to find it here: https://www.lavote.net/home/records/...ecords-request

Then you can deal with the State Department (passport) and the DMV.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    If you were really born in LA, you should be able to find it here: https://www.lavote.net/home/records/...ecords-request
    The problem, though, as I understand is that the OP was born at home and his mother never registered the birth, in which case there is no birth certificate record.

Mother religious? Were you baptized? You will need affidavits from parents, etc.... https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHS...of%20Birth.pdf

Have you physically gone to DMV and talked to an actual person? And if so, what did they say?

I had an expired CA-drivers license for a while. I went to DMV, wrote them a big check and got my eyes tested. I left with a valid driver's license. The only paper I had was a SS card.

An SS card and proof of residence (lease/utility bill/etc...) is all that it takes.
    The poster doesn't appear ot have an SS card.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    An SS card and proof of residence (lease/utility bill/etc...) is all that it takes.
    The poster doesn't appear ot have an SS card.
    Proof of citizenship is now required to get a REAL ID compliant license. That is why a birth certificate matters.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast