Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default School Published Student's Picture Against Parent's Instruction

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: Ohio
    I'm not even sure if this is where I should post this. We have a Domestic Violence PO against my ex husband. I have signed the forms with the school to not photograph my children and that their images may not be used in any way, for obvious reasons. They violated it last year by posting my son's photo, a video, and name on Facebook. Today, they have done it again with my daughter. Keeping their information private is my first priority, and they have done this now twice. What is my next step? I go to great lengths to keep them safe, but this is not helping. She goes to a different school than where we live, which I thought would help things, but now this. Any advice?

Wording on the forms:

"High School Student Image Release
    Throughout the course of the 2018-19 school year the high school staff and administration will be promoting our positive programs, classes and extracurricular activities. We will release information to local news media, the district website, both school and district newsletters and place pictures in the Senior Video.

I DO NOT GRANT XXXXXXXXXXX High School permission to use my child's image in promotion information to the local news media, on the school website, or in the Senior Video."

Default Re: School Endangering Child with Po

If your goal is to ensure that they never do it again you have to make a LOT of noise. You have to personally go to the school and get assertive with everyone. You have to make it clear to everyone involved that they are putting your children at risk by publishing their photos. You need to insist on a meeting where everyone in the school who has anything to do with promotion is present and make your case there.

This is a laziness problem. No one is taking the time to make sure that all student images are checked against the permission slips. However, if you pitch a really big fit, you and your children will be remembered by the promotional people and it won't happen again.

I have to ask: Do your children have cell phones? Do they have any social media accounts? Are YOU a property owner? Do YOU have social media accounts?

Are you in some form of victim or witness protection program? Is it really a mystery to your ex as to what high school the children are attending?

The point is that if you are trying to protect yourself or your children from having their location identified, that will be a difficult task in today's day and age unless the children are very isolated socially and technologically.

While you may be able to raise enough of a ruckus to keep your children's images off of school sites, they can easily be tagged or present on friends' sites or others. Completely and totally off the grid is all but impossible - especially for teenagers. The question may come down to how much isolation (and the resulting potential ostracization) you are willing to impose on your children. If you and they are at imminent risk of physical harm, then I presume you have moved to another state, changed names, and taken other steps to conceal your location. If not, then what is it you fear is likely to happen as a result of your children having their images on the high school's site(s)?
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

cdwjava makes valid points. Unfortunately.teenagers do not always realize the danger involved in these situations.

If you want to get anything accomplished. You will have to go in person to the school more than once. You might also want to contact the head of the school district. Do you have a copy of the form you signed ? It is always vest to make copies of forms like this.

You need to realize you can no longer protect them 24/7. I know how frightening this can be. but it is reality. It will not be long before they will be out on their own. I hope you are not over reacting. If you are, your relationship with your children could be at risk. Do you randomly go through their phones, laptops, etc. A lot of teenagers have social media accounts without their parents knowledge. Some also have an additional phone their parents are unaware of.

Has someone tried to physically harm them ? Does this person know where you and the children live ? Unless all of your names have been changed. It is very easy to find people. Even when you do not know exactly where they live.

This is precisely my point. Is there a true and objective need to conceal one's self from the restrained party? if there is, what steps have been taken to conceal their location? I have known and worked with families who HAVE been relocated as a result of DV and credible threats. I have also known people who have over-reacted or acted for other motivations in such situations. Not knowing the TRUE facts makes it difficult to evaluate.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

The form is oddly specific:

Quote Quoting PMMH
    View Post
    Wording on the forms:

"High School Student Image Release
    Throughout the course of the 2018-19 school year the high school staff and administration will be promoting our positive programs, classes and extracurricular activities. We will release information to local news media, the district website, both school and district newsletters and place pictures in the Senior Video.

I DO NOT GRANT XXXXXXXXXXX High School permission to use my child's image in promotion information to the local news media, on the school website, or in the Senior Video."
    (Bolding added.) So was your daughter's image used in "promotion information" to the local news media, posted to the school's website, or included in the school video? Or was it used for something else? If it was something else, your revocation of consent would not appear to cover it. For example, posting the image to the school Facebook page is not literally posting it to the school website and is not covered by what you signed. If the use was not one of the three things you prohibited in that form, the school was free to use it. If that is the situation, then I think going up there and raging about it would not be a good move.

In my view, you need to give the school something that is much more comprehensive that does not just ban the school from those three uses of your kids' images, but all dissemination of their image outside the school administration. (The school may need your kids' photos for its own internal use and that you won't be able to prevent, like creating student ID badges, for example.) You might want to have your lawyer draft a withdrawal of consent to give to the school.

What did you do when they posted your son's photo, a video and name ? What did the school do ?

Once again, unless a bit of noise is made with the school, they are not going to pay enough attention to make sure that every student pictured had parental permission. Make the noise.

PMMH, contact your local School Board and the Ohio Department of Education.

When a child is included in a protective order. The parent needs to go to the school in person with a copy of the protective order. They need to talk to the principal face to face. If the children are younger than high school. The parent needs to also meet with each teacher and the counselor. The school needs to have a certified copy from the court of the protective order on file at the school. These things need to be done each time the child changes schools. Also when there is a new principal.

When notes comes home like the one PMMH received. The parent needs to follow up the note with a phone call to the principal. To confirm the school is aware permission was not given. Also remind the principal the danger the child could be put in if the form is not followed.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast