Default Getting into High School Without Parents

Iím 17 years old and supposed to be a junior high school student. Iím trying to enroll into school in Virginia but theyíre not letting me because I live with a guardian not a parent. My guardian is not court appointed. What am I supposed to do ?? Because I donít want to wait until Iím 18 to enroll myself because itís too long to wait.

Default Re: Getting into High School Without Parents

Quote Quoting Saifafify
    View Post
    Iím 17 years old and supposed to be a junior high school student. Iím trying to enroll into school in Virginia but theyíre not letting me because I live with a guardian not a parent. My guardian is not court appointed. What am I supposed to do ?? Because I donít want to wait until Iím 18 to enroll myself because itís too long to wait.
    Where are your parents? Why are you living with this person who you claim is acting as your guardian? Are you there with your parents' permission?
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

If your guardian is not court appointed. They are not your legal guardian.

Virginia does use the term "guardian". You have custody or you do not. Therefore no one is legally listed as his/her "guardian".

Without knowing the full details of the story, this is a difficult question to answer.

Where are custodians/parents?
    Why are trying to enroll in November? Are you transferring from another school?
    Your parents/custodians have to speak for you or the state does. If the parents are not an option, you will need to go to the courts/social services and be placed in the care of the city/county you are living in. Your parents will tried to be found and perhaps charged with abandonment. If you are a runaway, they will try to return you to your parents.

My parents are in Egypt and yes they know Iím here and I have permission and Iím living with my uncle beacuse I used to live here and I came back but my parents didnít want to (Cdwjava)

My parents are overseas and Iím transferring from my old school to school here and I have my transcript and everything and Iím not a runaway Iím here with my parents permission and I talk to them everyday on the phone (Guybrush)

Your uncle needs to contact the school, explain the situation in detail and likely in person, and find out what they need to register you. This is NOT something that you are going to be able to handle.

Virginia very much DOES use the term guardian. However, the term you are likely looking for is CUSTODIAN. What you have is your parents giving (perhaps temporary) custody of you to your relatives. Either way, it has to be approved by the JDR court. You're going to need a lawyer (and possibly a GAL appointment). I'm not sure which school district you are in, but in Fairfax County (the largest in the state and the one I've had 20+ years experience dealing with), they want either proof of residency of the parents (not happening here) or proof of residency of court-appointed custodian/guardian. It isn't going to happen otherwise.

For starters, I have to wonder why this is happening 2-3 months into the school year.

Beyond that, shy can't your parents sign the necessary documents and e-mail them to you or your uncle or even directly to the school? If the school requires an adult to register you in person (which would be very bizarre from my perspective, but I'm not in VA), then your uncle should talk to the appropriate person at the school about whether getting a power of attorney from your parents would be sufficient.

There's no "document" to sign. A POA won't help. He's not legally a resident of the district as far as the law is concerned. He can't register there. There's no provision for people to shack up with non-custodial adults for the purpose of being allowed to enter school there.

1. Sponsored Links