Default Are Lawyers Usually Slow to Respond to Clients

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: VA

Just curious about other peoples experience. My ex got a lawyer that tried to settle with me. After reading the settlement I knew I am just getting crewed over and decided to get a laywer myself. I sent all the paperwork to my lawyer and I know they have contacted his lawyer. But its been over a week and they are still waiting for his lawyer to respond to their email. Is that normal? I understand that the lawyer is probably very busy and also has other cases. Not judging, just asking for experience. Trial is next months and his lawyer told me they prefer to have it solved before the court date so we do not have to appear in court.

Default Re: Are Lawyers Usually Slow to Response

So...the question is whether it's "normal" for a lawyer to take more than a week to respond to an e-mail?

It's not ideal, but it's certainly not unheard of. Has your lawyer sent a follow up e-mail or picked up the phone to call the other lawyer? Is there any particular urgency, such as an upcoming hearing or other court deadline?

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    So...the question is whether it's "normal" for a lawyer to take more than a week to respond to an e-mail?

It's not ideal, but it's certainly not unheard of. Has your lawyer sent a follow up e-mail or picked up the phone to call the other lawyer? Is there any particular urgency, such as an upcoming hearing or other court deadline?
    I was informed that they did sent another email to his lawyer, requesting an update. No urgency on my side. But trial is 12/13 because he is in contempt of court due to non payment of child support.

Quote Quoting kathak
    View Post
    I was informed that they did sent another email to his lawyer, requesting an update. No urgency on my side. But trial is 12/13 because he is in contempt of court due to non payment of child support.
    Not unusual at all and the trial is almost a month away.

Whether or not this is "normal" or "unusual" or anything of the sort is completely irrelevant to anything. If your lawyer isn't happy with your adversary's lawyer's failure to respond to an e-mail, your lawyer should pick up a phone and make a call. For all anyone here knows the other lawyer is on vacation or in trial on another matter or any number of things.

1. Sponsored Links