Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Retail Return Fraud

Quote Quoting sammy11
    View Post
    I don't think i should name the retailers at this point but apparently this isn't the first time this is out there with some. another question is what does anyone think might happen in my case - late 30's and have a totally clean record - nothing. is it more likely they will want to settle or prosecute and if they do prosecute what would be the likely outcome? very ignorante about the law in this area- whole new area for me - thanks.

They did not " catch " you in the act with a camera or eyes. All they want is money. Give them a check and put it behind you. Stay off their property and dont attend any meetings.

boomer, sounds like this happened to you somewhere along the line. if so, what was your outcome and/or how do you know so much about this type of event? your insights would be most helpful. if this didn't happen to you, where are you getting your information from or your advice?

panther10758 Guest

Sammy I would suggest boomer is wrong. Why would they want you to come in if they didnt have eye witiness or video? Otherwise you cna just deny everything and it would be over. No I have conducted these types of interviews countless times your not called in unless they have all they need.

A lot of people confess when interrogated, even when the facts are insufficient to establish a case. A lot of police interrogations which result in confessions are based upon evidence too thin to actually result in prosecution - the confession, of course, makes the prosecution's job easy.

Happened to a close friend. Purpose of the meeting was to confront the individual with the suspect returns and seemingly to gain a confession. I short curcuited the conversation by asking the total dollar amount of the contested returns and offered a check as it wasnt all that much money - or rather - not worth interrupting work flow for.

Sent bank check, didnt sign anything, and got a restitution release back in the mail. Many months ago now.

It seemed easiest to offer to write the check rather than let them try to beat it out of the individual. Scary at first which casued me to read this board but settled quite amicably a while ago.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2