Default What to Do if You Find Out That You're Not the Father of a Child

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Maine. "My son" is gonna be 5 next month his mother and I split over a year ago and have been fighting for rights and custody ever since. She had a mental breakdown one day and decided after that to move out of her parents home. After she moved out her step-dad partitioned for a paternity test claiming he might be his biological father. The paternity just came back and I am not his father. I had been told from day 1 this was my child without a doubt and never questioned it. Now I feel betrayed and I just don't want to deal with this family anymore. He is fighting for his rights as his biological father now, and I just want out. Is it possible to have my name removed from his birth certificate.

Default Re: Lied to for Years

Quote Quoting PowerfulOwl2687
    View Post
    My question involves paternity law for the State of: Maine. "My son" is gonna be 5 next month his mother and I split over a year ago and have been fighting for rights and custody ever since. She had a mental breakdown one day and decided after that to move out of her parents home. After she moved out her step-dad partitioned for a paternity test claiming he might be his biological father. The paternity just came back and I am not his father. I had been told from day 1 this was my child without a doubt and never questioned it. Now I feel betrayed and I just don't want to deal with this family anymore. He is fighting for his rights as his biological father now, and I just want out. Is it possible to have my name removed from his birth certificate.
    If the other guy's paternity is established that will disestablish your paternity.

Default Re: Lied to for Years

That poor child, my heart breaks for him. It may be too late for the biological father to challenge paternity successfully. Particularly since he knew he may be the father for five years and had done nothing. That child has spent the last five years believing you are "Daddy," and it is possible that a judge will find it in the child's best interest that you remain the legal father.

Default Re: What to Do if You Find Out That You're Not the Father of a Child

Let's start with a couple questions for you:

Are you now or were you ever married to the child's mother? If not, was your paternity ever established in any way? That your name is on the child's birth certificate, by itself, does not mean that paternity was established. However, it's possible that, in order to get your name on the birth certificate, you and the mother had to sign an acknowledgment of paternity. Did that happen?

Once you answer those questions, we can more intelligently address your question.

1. Sponsored Links