Default Can You Stop Customs from Searching You Every Time You Enter the U.S.

I got stopped entering the US with a small amount of marijuana. it cost me a $500 fine and my Global Entry card. now, as a result, I get stopped nearly everytime I enter the USA and my bags are searched. is there anyway to stop this and regain my Global Entry?

Default Re: Can I Overcome a Pot Bust by Customs

Quote Quoting Ets$1129
    View Post
    I got stopped entering the US with a small amount of marijuana. it cost me a $500 fine and my Global Entry card. now, as a result, I get stopped nearly everytime I enter the USA and my bags are searched. is there anyway to stop this and regain my Global Entry?
    Unfortunately, you violated federal law in bringing in that pot, and it appears that you were convicted of that offense or plead guilty to it because you mention paying the $500 fine. The Global Entry card is a privilege, not a right, and there is no court appeal for the revocation. You may make a written appeal to the CBP trusted traveler ombudsman to try to get it back, but in the end it is completely up to CBP whether to grant you Global entry, and it is very unlikely to do so when the conviction is based on you trying to smuggle into the country some prohibited item, in this case an illegal drug. The reason is that the whole idea of this program is that Global entry participants are supposed to be those who are trusted to obey those laws and thus not need to be searched and questioned upon entry to the U.S. You proved that you cannot be trusted to do that, so why would they give you back the Global entry status? And given that you have a record bringing in illegal drugs, of course they are going to be more likely to search you every time you come in because they figure they are more likely to get a hit off you than someone else. It was a mistake for you to put your Global Entry status at risk for a small bit of pot. You can try to make that written appeal — it won't cost you anything — but if I were you I'd not get my hopes up very high that the CBP will let you get it back.

I'm sorry your thread got infected with the spam attack that is currently affecting this site. Hopefully the moderators will clean that up before too much longer.

1. Sponsored Links