Default Ex- Has Not Registered a Car After Break-Up

My question involves civil rights in the State of: michigan. So i transferred my car to my ex back in June. Hes the father of my kids. 6 months later he has still not transferred it out if my name. He is currently driving it with no plated and also he is now using hard core drugs. Is it legal to go get a quick title and get car towed..honestly i was just going to junk the car to cash for junk cars. He had even pulled the radio out and pawned it for his drug use. I just dont need the car to hurt someone get impounded. Because if impounded there going to contact me for it.

Default Re: Ex- Has Not Registered a Can After Break-Up

Communicate with your ex-. If you have transferred title to him, you should have a photocopy of the title showing the transfer for your own records.

If the car is still titled in your name, you can get a replacement title and take the car -- but he could still register the title that you transferred to him, could potentially report the car as stolen and document his ownership through the unregistered title, or sue you. So there's a risk to you in that approach.

If he has parked the car on a public street, you could consider reporting the vehicle and seeing if the authorities will tow it -- but you need to be careful that you can document the transfer of the vehicle because, as title owner, they will come to you to pay impound and title fees and you need to be able to prove that you shouldn't have to pay them.

Quote Quoting babybella0825
    View Post
    My question involves civil rights
    No it doesn't.

Quote Quoting babybella0825
    View Post
    Is it legal to go get a quick title and get car towed.
    I have no idea what "get a quick title" might mean, but why would you want to tow the car? You told us that title is still in your name, so you are free to take possession of it. Of course, if you don't have a key, that might not be possible.

I suggest you read this and then contact the Secretary of State (who apparently functions as the DMV in Michigan) about the situation.

The Secretary of State's Office isn't going to have much to say beyond what the website states -- if the transfer is not made at a Secretary of State's office such that the transfer can be processed immediately, in order to protect herself the seller must make and keep a proper record of the sale (or transfer). (A "record of the sale" can be either a photocopy of the reassigned title or a form or document that includes the year, make, vehicle identification number, name, address, driver license number, and signature of the person to whom the vehicle is sold and the purchase price and date of sale of the vehicle).

The question is one of records-keeping -- can the title owner prove that the car was conveyed to somebody else if the vehicle is not registered after title is transferred, should the new owner fail to register the vehicle.

1. Sponsored Links