Default What to Do to Correct a False Insurance Application

My question involves insurance law for the state of: Florida

My boyfriend and I were buying a car and they wanted two names on the insurance. He and I were talking about going to the courthouse and getting married by the end of the year so I told the insurance company he was my husband and just put him on my insurance to speed things up. We have pushed the wedding back to have a real wedding and now I'm afraid of getting charged for insurance fraud! Can I come clean without getting in trouble since I don't have a claim?

Default Re: I Lied and I Want to Fix It

It's not really insurance fraud, just a misrepresentation. Nobody's going to jail for it.

No guarantees but, in my insurance experience (35 years), I think the insurance company would have written your insurance as joint owners even if you weren't married.

Best case scenario, nothing changes when you reveal that you aren't married.

Medium case scenario, there's a rate increase for the change in classification to unmarried drivers.

Worst case scenario, you get cancelled and have to find another insurance company, probably at higher rates.

I suggest sending written notice to your agent (mail or email) and keep a copy permanently, just in case it somehow doesn't get relayed to the insurance company.

Then see how it goes.

In the medium case scenario, another option would be a retroactive rate increase.

Other than that, I agree with AJ.

Good that you should fix it. If they find out you lied and a claim comes up, they can deny it and then you'll be in a world of hurt.

Quote Quoting jqlaw
    View Post
    My boyfriend and I were buying a car and they wanted two names on the insurance.
    Who are "they," and why did "they" want this?

Quote Quoting jqlaw
    View Post
    I told the insurance company he was my husband and just put him on my insurance to speed things up.
    Why did you do this? You didn't need to be married in order to add him to your policy (unless your insurer has some weird policies).

Quote Quoting jqlaw
    View Post
    Can I come clean without getting in trouble since I don't have a claim?
    Depending on how your insurer determines premiums, it might be that you'll owe some additional premium, but this isn't really an issue otherwise.

1. Sponsored Links