Default What Can You Do to Resolve a Past Incident of Identity Theft

My question involves civil rights in the State of: I have a sibling who went to jail under my name in 2007 and to this day whenever my name is ran a background check in the city I live in, all of her info comes up as if its mine. This happens whenever I apply for a job or if the police run my name for any reason. If she has a warrant, so do I. what are my options here? Can I sue the Dept for this? Also I dont have a criminal record at all so I dont understand how this keeps happening when they know shes not me. This is affecting my life all these years later and its getting harder for me to find a good job i just dont know what else to do when they wont take my name off her record per their discretion.

Default Re: Still Suffering from a False Identity Against Me Over 10 Years Ago

In what state do you reside? Laws and procedures to try and address this sort of situation vary by state. As for a job, you might want to let any prospective employer know up front what they might find in a criminal background check.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I would start here since states are quick to report arrest data to the FBI but not so quick to submit corrections to erroneous data.
    https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/id...summary-checks

Quote Quoting chiffy31
    View Post
    I have a sibling who went to jail under my name
    It would probably be helpful if you provided a bit of background as to what this means and how it happened.

Quote Quoting chiffy31
    View Post
    This happens whenever I apply for a job or if the police run my name for any reason.
    Is it a frequent occurrence that the police "run [your] name"?

Quote Quoting chiffy31
    View Post
    what are my options here?
    Options for what?

Quote Quoting chiffy31
    View Post
    Can I sue the Dept for this?
    Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but it's not clear what "Dept" you want to sue or for what. Also, since the incident in question occurred over a decade ago, the relevant statute of limitations almost certainly has expired (obviously can't be certain about that because you didn't identify your state or make it clear whom you want to sue or for what).

Quote Quoting chiffy31
    View Post
    I dont understand how this keeps happening when they know shes not me.
    Who are "they"?

If I were you, I would do some research into companies that assist victims of identity theft and hire the one that you like the best based on your research.

1. Sponsored Links