Default Divorce Rights When Your Spouse Files in Another State

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Ohio but divorce filed in California. We were married in Ohio wife moved to California and filed. I currently live in Georgia but am not yet a resident. I received papers and she wants vehicles that are in my possession and name in Georgia as well as my pension. Am I able to petition the California courts jurisdiction over me so that they cannot do anything with propert or money? They should only have the right to grant her the divorce?

Default Re: Divorce

Quote Quoting Spieseyg
    View Post
    Am I able to petition the California courts jurisdiction over me so that they cannot do anything with propert or money? They should only have the right to grant her the divorce?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "petition the California court[']s jurisdiction," but it is correct that, under the circumstances described, the court in California lacks jurisdiction to do anything other than dissolve your marriage. I strongly suggest you retain the services of a divorce attorney in the California county where the divorce was filed to ensure that the court is aware of the relevant facts and the limits on its jurisdiction.

1. Sponsored Links