Default What Are an On Site Property Caretaker's Rights When a Property is Sold

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California.I have been property caretaker( live on site) for three a one half years. Owner died and children asked me to stay on. They have not given me any info and now the property has been sold. Final sale is the first. The realitor came by and said she would loose her commission of I wasn't out the first. She then said I was squatting and would have the police her to kick me out on the first. What can I do?

Default Re: On Site Property Caretaker-Property Sold

The realtor has no authority of any kind regarding the matter. You need to contact the children of the deceased owner and ask them what is going on and why they didn't give you the required notice.

Unfortunately nothing, you can move or take the hard road and be evicted. The police aren't going to throw you out despite what the realtor says. But the new owner can evict you which will take a month or two.

You haven't gained any property rights by living there for three and half years that would give you standing. What this means for the realtor means nothing to you.

Worst case scenario: You're an employee. Your right to stay on your employer's property ends when your employment is terminated. Your employment is terminated at close of escrow (the 1st).

I have no law to cite for you and I have no way of predicting what could happen if the police come to the door.

Caution would dictate that you be out by the 1st.

And, while I agree with the other comments, not everybody plays by the rules.

Quote Quoting Rparker
    View Post
    They have not given me any info
    Given you any info about what?

Quote Quoting Rparker
    View Post
    What can I do?
    You obviously know what abilities you have better than anyone here, but I doubt this is what you intended to ask.

You're not obligated to move out until you have been given proper written notice and the notice period has expired. Since you've lived there more than a year, proper notice is 60 days. That you happen to be an employee doesn't change the notice rules. If I were you, I might be inclined to negotiated an earlier exit in exchange for $$ (and that's especially true if you're in a city that has rent control).

1. Sponsored Links