Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can You Place a Lien on a Property Without a Judgment

My question involves real estate located in the State of: California
    Is it possible to place a lien on a property without a judgement against the property owner?

Default Re: Is It Possible

Well it depends on what the lien is for. Mortgages and promissory notes can create a lien on property without a judgment.

How about some information so we can answer the question?

damage to my fence by my neighbor's actions. Have not been to small claims court to get a judgement. Just got an estimate of the cost to repair the damage. $3000. Is it possible to file a lien without a judgement from the court?

Quote Quoting jeffdickey
    View Post
    damage to my fence by my neighbor's actions. Have not been to small claims court to get a judgement. Just got an estimate of the cost to repair the damage. $3000. Is it possible to file a lien without a judgement from the court?
    Pre-judgment attachments are not allowed in CA small claims courts.

Quote Quoting jeffdickey
    View Post

There are two ways to obtain a lien. The first way is by contract...someone gives you something and in exchange you give them a lien against your home/assets. The second way is by court order...someone gets a judgment against you due to your breech of a contract and that result in a judgment against you that in turn allows you to put a lien/levy against various assets that they own.

Based on what you have described, you will need to obtain a court ordered judgment before you would be able to place a lien against your neighbor's property.

thats what i thought

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    There are two ways to obtain a lien. The first way is by contract...someone gives you something and in exchange you give them a lien against your home/assets. The second way is by court order...someone gets a judgment against you due to your breech of a contract and that result in a judgment against you that in turn allows you to put a lien/levy against various assets that they own.
    There is a third type of lien, though it is not applicable to the OP's situation. And that is a statutory lien. Statutory liens arise, as the name implies, by statute. If you meet the conditions set out in the governing statute to qualify for the lien, you get the lien without having to get agreement from from the other party or getting a judgment against him in court. One example of a statutory lien in many states is the mechanics lien available to those who provide work to improve real property.

Hey TM, how do equate Fuentes v. Shevin 407 US 67, to this, as a curiosity. It just popped in my mind from way back.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    There is a third type of lien, though it is not applicable to the OP's situation. And that is a statutory lien. Statutory liens arise, as the name implies, by statute. If you meet the conditions set out in the governing statute to qualify for the lien, you get the lien without having to get agreement from from the other party or getting a judgment against him in court. One example of a statutory lien in many states is the mechanics lien available to those who provide work to improve real property.
    Wouldn’t a mechanics lien be based in contract though? Somewhere along the line, for a mechanics lien to apply, there must be a contract engaging the lien holder to provide materials or services for the property the lien is asserted against. I would see llworking’s explanation to fit within the description of a mechanics lien.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Wouldn’t a mechanics lien be based in contract though? Somewhere along the line, for a mechanics lien to apply, there must be a contract engaging the lien holder to provide materials or services for the property the lien is asserted against. I would see llworking’s explanation to fit within the description of a mechanics lien.
    Ohio Constitution:

Article 2: Section 33:

Mechanics' and builders' liens:

Laws may be passed to secure to mechanics, artisans, laborers, sub-contractors and material men, their just dues by direct lien upon the property, upon which they have bestowed labor or for which they have furnished material. No other provision of the constitution shall impair or limit this power.

(Adopted Sept. 3, 1912.)

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast