Default Spouse May Have Committed Welfare Fraud

I have 3 children, 2 are disabled and receive a small check each month (under $100 each). I had my income re eval today. Everything went fine, we are very low income and the administrator actually told me they had been grossly under paying me and that it should go up to over $400 each each month with a $9000+ Each back payment due.

I hung up astonished.... and then 30 minutes later he called me back to say there is a bank account open in just my husbands name and it had $20k deposited in it last year and there is $3k left in it! I figured it was a mistake so he gave me the account number, but my husband and I have been on the edge of divorce for months so something was nudging me. I just pulled his entire closet apart and found a bank statement. I called him and he said it’s his uncles money, because his uncle couldn’t get a bank account because he has no social security number.

I don’t know if I believe him or not, this might be the needle that breaks the camels back and he might be out of my house tonight... but regardless I’m terrified to call the administrator back tomorrow morning. If my kids loose there ssi benefits and thus Medicaid I would have to come up with $1000+ a month for medication and treatments which would easily leave my kids and I homeless. Any ideas on what I should do and what will happen?

Default Re: My Husband

You are at risk of being charged with welfare fraud, and being required to pay back a great deal of money. If you don't yet have a divorce lawyer, get one -- and have your lawyer figure out what is actually going on. Don't trust a word that your husband says.

Well, that cancels out the gross underpayment. A couple can have $3000 in countable resources and anything over that is deemed to the child and compared to the resource limit of $2000. So any month that there was over $5000, no SSI money was due.

Is this a joint account with the uncle? And did the uncle have $30,000 from somewhere else? A whole lot of fishiness about it, for sure. SSI will consider that the money belongs to your husband and while he was living in the household with that amount of money, the children were not eligible. But since the balance is under $3000 now, the account does not make the children ineligible , at least not now.

You definitely have some marriage issues to work out. If you separate (different houses, not just different rooms), then the only income of his that is deemed to the children is the child support, minus 1/3. But you may not have to go that far.

You do have things to think about. And discussions to have.

"If you separate (different houses, not just different rooms), then the only income of his that is deemed to the children is the child support, minus 1/3."Oh this brought back such vivid memories! I can't believe the number of people who tried to tell me, when I was doing eligibility issues, that they and their spouse were separated, though still occupying the same home! I guess it's the thought that counts, huh?

The OP's best bet, to get away, quickly and as cleanly as possible. Believe NOTHING. Protect yourself and children. Contact legal services if you need to, but get legal assistance with this issue quickly.

If his uncle has no social security number. The account is in your husbands name alone. No documented proof the account does not belong to your husband.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    If his uncle has no social security number. The account is in your husbands name alone. No documented proof the account does not belong to your husband.
    Just as an FYI for the whole thread. The uncle doesn't need an SSN to get a bank account. The uncle could have applied for an ITIN number which can be used to open a bank account in the US. Now, that doesn't mean that the uncle knew that or that the uncle wasn't just too paranoid to apply for one, it just means that it wasn't necessary.

1. Sponsored Links