Post How to Get Your Name Off of a Car Owned With Your Spouse

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Washington and my Husband and I are separated but we did not sign separation papers. We do not have too many thing acquired with both our names on it but we do have a car, with the title and registration in both our names. I have my own car, this was our first car. How do I go about getting my name off the title and the registration? It was bought out right. So no money is owed on it. But being he will not get his license or insure it I want it out of my name. Thank you

Default Re: What to Do when Separated

Quote Quoting Just need to know
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Washington and my Husband and I are separated but we did not sign separation papers. We do not have too many thing acquired with both our names on it but we do have a car, with the title and registration in both our names. I have my own car, this was our first car. How do I go about getting my name off the title and the registration? It was bought out right. So no money is owed on it. But being he will not get his license or insure it I want it out of my name. Thank you

Is he driving it with no license or insurance? Who has possession of the title (the actual piece of paper)? You can sign it over to him but you cannot force him to go to the DMV and actually change the title. Have you tried to talk to him about it? Have you offered to sign the car over to him if he goes with you to the DMV to make it happen?

Contact the dmv and ask if this will work

if you don’t have the certificate of title, get a duplicate. Then sign off as seller. Submit it to state who will then send a new title to your husband with just his name on it.

I am not familiar enough with your state to be able to say whether it will work. It would in my state since he would not have to sign anything.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Is he driving it with no license or insurance? Who has possession of the title (the actual piece of paper)? You can sign it over to him but you cannot force him to go to the DMV and actually change the title. Have you tried to talk to him about it? Have you offered to sign the car over to him if he goes with you to the DMV to make it happen?
    This whole situtation is the worst mistake I ever made and am trying to resolve this marriage without too much hardship, and let me tell you that I have had my fill. Anyway, yes he is illegally driving it with no insurance and no license. I have tried to talk to him about just getting my name off of it and he just won't do it. He did the same thing with another car we bought. I am gonna have to do research on that too, cause I don't think the man who bought the car ever got it put in his name. Just not sure. He has possession of the title (the actual piece of paper). I don't want the car and I have told him this and I really think he is just using it as a weapon in a sense to have something over me. Very imature and childish. I just want to get this car out of my name

View Post
    This whole situtation is the worst mistake I ever made and am trying to resolve this marriage without too much hardship, and let me tell you that I have had my fill. Anyway, yes he is illegally driving it with no insurance and no license. I have tried to talk to him about just getting my name off of it and he just won't do it. He did the same thing with another car we bought. I am gonna have to do research on that too, cause I don't think the man who bought the car ever got it put in his name. Just not sure. He has possession of the title (the actual piece of paper). I don't want the car and I have told him this and I really think he is just using it as a weapon in a sense to have something over me. Very imature and childish. I just want to get this car out of my name
    Then try what JK suggested in post number 3. It may not work but its worth trying and if it does, it solves your problem.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

In WA you'll both have to sign the seller's report, since you're both the listed owners. WA doesn't do any "and" or "or" when listing owners. Until you're divorced you both share common liability for the car. If you're knowingly letting him drive it without a license and without insurance you are definitely liable.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

You're free to sign the title over to your husband. Did you really not know that?

View Post
    This whole situtation is the worst mistake I ever made and am trying to resolve this marriage without too much hardship
    Since it doesn't sound like either of you has filed for divorce, I suggest you get yourself to a divorce attorney ASAP.

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    In WA you'll both have to sign the seller's report, since you're both the listed owners. WA doesn't do any "and" or "or" when listing owners. Until you're divorced you both share common liability for the car. If you're knowingly letting him drive it without a license and without insurance you are definitely liable.
    but only one party is “selling” their interest. Does that make a difference?

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    but only one party is “selling” their interest. Does that make a difference?

That's tough to say, really. WA has a real problem with process, as a whole, and tend to make simple things more difficult than they should be. Recently I have to wrestle with titling 4 vehicles from OP to WA and it's been a real bear, paperwork wise. WA. It's not difficult to sell cars to other, by and large, but I've heard tell of those who try to divest themselves of their interest is more complex. I suspect its to ensure that a cower isn't trying to pull a fast one.

I'd try to go with just the sellers report, the worst that could happen is they reject it and you have to go the long way around.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

1. Sponsored Links