Default Helping Somebody With Divorce Process, Procedure and Motions

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Washington State.

I am preparing assist my sister to divorce her husband of 14 years (together 18).
    They have a child that's 13.

(Her wordsl
    My husband has been out of the house 7 months (he claims to stay with friends/in his car, as is close to work) however, I'm fully aware he's living with his girlfriend.

There is NO chance of reconciliation.

I am looking for specifics on filing, which forms at what point.
    The WA courts no longer provide time line information.
    I will need child support, alimony and residential schedule.

If you have any suggestions or information, I'd be grateful.

Default Re: Divorce Process, Procedure and Motions

If you really want to help your sister, help her pay for an attorney. What you are proposing to do comes very close to attempting to practice law without a license.

In addition to what LL said, If the divorce becomes complicated, which so many of them do because emotions run high and people become unrealistic about what is appropriate in terms of custody or division of assets and liabilities, it is better to have an attorney on board. This is especially true it the other party has an attorney.

Quote Quoting SandlingAllDay
    View Post
    My question involves a marriage in the state of:
    Washington State

I am preparing assist my sister to divorce her husband of 14 years (together 18).
    Unfortunately, you cannot prepare documents for her, give her legal advice, or represent her in court. In order to do those things you must be an attorney licensed in Washington state.

More limited help in a divorce in Washington state is available from limited-license legal technicians (LLTs), a new kind of legal professional in Washington state who is allowed to draft legal documents and give legal advice in family law matters but who cannot attend court with the client. LLTs are distinctly different from paralegals. The former have a license to conduct a limited practice of law, the latter do not and do not have the training and testing LLTs have.

So if she wants help with drafting documents and advice on the process with the divorce then she ought to look for a lawyer or a LLT to help her. She might see if legal aid or pro bono legal help might be available if she cannot afford the lawyer or LLT. The Northwest Justice Project (aka Clear) is the state funded legal aid program that provides pro bono help for divorce in the state; she may have to be patient in getting through to them as they apparently have a lot of demand.

She can also contact her local Superior Court and ask if it has a divorce packet that she can use. Many of the Superior Courts in the state apparently do offer that. The packet provides general information on the process and the most common forms she'd need. The forms are also on the Washington state court website: Divorce Court Forms

Quote Quoting SandlingAllDay
    View Post
    If you have any suggestions or information, I'd be grateful.
    Hire a divorce attorney. One person who doesn't know what he/she's doing trying to assist another person who doesn't know what she's doing isn't a good thing.

Especially since there is a 13 year old child involved here, your sister desperately needs an attorney. What you could do to help her most is help her get this representation.That you mention he's living with his girlfriend as if that would make a huge difference in this situation, and complain that the internet no longer provides the quick forms you can fill out is a good indicator that you're in way over your head here. You wouldn't dream of attempting to remove your sister's gallbladder for her, there's little chance you can do better trying to mastermind a divorce with custody issues for her.

Default Re: Helping Somebody With Divorce Process, Procedure and Motions

Agreeing with everyone else, your sister needs an attorney. If she cannot afford one, then SHE needs to go to the courthouse, and discuss this with their court advisor/facilitator, and they can help her.

Your sister needs to understand that the court won't care even a smidgen if the ex-husband has a new girlfriend. They will be more focused on stabilizing the child's relationship with both parents.

Also, you mentioned alimony. She won't get what most people consider traditional alimony in Washington State. With amount of time married, spousal support can be assigned, but it is normally only for a period of time and not permanent. This is another reason your sister needs an attorney.

1. Sponsored Links