Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Default Re: Behavioral Hold Over Dubious Self Harm Statements

Since we're into repeating ourselves when OP's repeat themselves:

(1) You have no direct knowledge of what was said, you weren't there.

(2) It would be a massive violation for the clinicians or anyone else at the hospital to talk to you about anything. If it was the police, it would be unlikely for them to have a casual conversation with a third party about the specifics of any case.

(3) If your friend was initially placed on a 3 day hold and that was extended, through a court order, to a 25 day hold then something else was communicated to the doctors that seriously raised the level of concern.

(3) The RA had to call the police. There was no real option given what was reported by you.

(4) It's possible that your friend gave you an explanation that had a few rainbows and unicorns it, gamboling on a lovely green meadow.

(5) Not all suicides are people that broadcast obvious signs. It's like serial killers, "they were so nice and quiet. They would watch my kids for me when I went to the store.". You just don't know what's happening below the surface.

Certainty is young persons burden. Most of us, here, have been relieved of carrying that load and feel comfortable saying that we don't know everything. I feel comfortable saying that people are truly difficult to know. People have many faces. One that they show to the world, at large, one that they show to friends, one that they show to loved ones and the last is the one that is hidden. There are many shades and more faces, the ones I list would be the most common. Honestly ask yourself which face you're seeing. It's not an insult that you don't see that hidden one and some bury that last deeper than other but we all have it. Even those who claim to be an open book.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Kandalahma
    View Post
    Shell be released tomorrow morning.

And she’s persevered through a lot in her life. She’s not a quitter. Getting ditched because she got to drink is a minor thing to her. It was the RAs statement and her respect for authority that got her here. Having personal prior experience with medical professionals and their attitude toward college students, esp female ones, I’ll hold my own judgement on their objectivity. They tend to interpret events to suit their own agenda. In my case, they dismissed symptoms as me being a college student and not eating / sleeping right, without ever asking how I was eating or sleeping. I was eventually diagnosed with a chronic syndrome, after I graduated. Not just me, I overheard conversations in the uni clinic about another female student. So, yeah, I don’t hold them in high regard
    And you're projecting your experience onto her experience. I don't think you're quite grasping something important: YOU WEREN'T THERE, and she was very, very drunk. So why do you think you're a better judge of the situation than the people who actually witnessed what happened?

I realize this is different than hazing. But the parents of a student are suing LSU for their sons wrongful.death. As Carl said earlier. Colleges take students drinking to excess very seriously. It is a matter of liability.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    I realize this is different than hazing. But the parents of a student are suing LSU for their sons wrongful.death. As Carl said earlier. Colleges take students drinking to excess very seriously. It is a matter of liability.
    Yep. At the University where I work, in calls relating to alcohol related medical aids and arrests the police are also required to forward a referral to Student Affairs so that they might focus resources or discipline (as might be appropriate) towards the student(s) involved.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I long ago learned to marvel at the wonderful memory that very drunk people seem to have of what transpired during the time they were very drunk, up to and including exactly what was said, to whom, and in exact and detailed recitation. I also learned that no matter how detailed and exact those memories are, they very often turn out to be completely different from the memories that other (more sober) people have of the situation. That's why video recording for police officers is such a benefit.

Quote Quoting comment/ator
    View Post
    That's why video recording for police officers is such a benefit.
    Exactly. I've seen some officers' behinds saved by dash or body cam footage.

Oddly enough, a number of agencies have policies that limit or even prohibit recording when matters of psych or medical matters are being discussed. Or, if the patient or medical practitioner objects to the recording. Officers that work in a clinical setting are often subject to such rules. Even so, since mental health commits require much more than simply an officer's observations and opinion, there are checks and balances in the process that tend not to need video. Video is a new concept in policing, and we were successfully and legally detaining individuals for mental health situations LONG before bodycams were even conceived of.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

An issue that has not been discussed is dismissal from the university not for underaged drinking but for being hospitalized. At the university I know best, a student would be likely to be dismissed immediately from the university and not be allowed to re-enroll for an extended period of time and only if the university agrees the student can do so. The university will not grant the student an extension of time to complete current coursework.

My mentally ill son who also has cancer had this experience after a voluntary 3 day hospitalization for mania and was dismissed when no requested disability accommodations had been granted with only 4 credit hours to complete his degree.

What is key is the university's policies. Look at the Department of Education Office of Civil Rights documentation as well.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3