Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to Get a Driver's License if You Don't Have a Social Security Number

I wouldnít know where else to put this kind of question.
    Please redirect me to the right forum if this isnít the place.
    I wasnít given a social security number at birth.
    To apply for one I need an ID. To get an ID I need a SSN.
    I have my birth certificate, but literally nothing else. I was home schooled so I have no school record. Iíve never been able to get a job so I donít have any employee ID.
    I have no medical records because I havenít been to a hospital since I was born, basically.

What would a social security office accept that I can get?
    I read that a medical record cannot be used as proof of identity. So what the heck.
    I was about to go get a physical from my local clinic, but since they wonít accept that as proof of identity then Iím not doing it.
    There is absolutely no way I can get a photo ID without my social security number.
    And there is like no way to get a social without photo ID

IS there something Iím missing? Please help.
    Iím 25, female and need a job ASAP.

Default Re: No Snn = No Drivers License. Help

How did you get to be 25 without ever having a social security number issued?

In any event, the information you're seeking is readily available at the Social Security Administration's web site.

People aren't "given" a SSN at birth but that doesn't mean that you subsequently didn't have one issued for you. What have your parents been doing for tax returns? SSN for claimed dependents has been required since before you were born.

I really think that parents that allow this to happen should be charged with abuse.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I really think that parents that allow this to happen should be charged with abuse.
    Sorry, but no. This comes nowhere close to "abuse." The idea that our society seems to be heading towards where anything bad or difficult that happens to a child must be abuse is wrong. Kids are not entitled to a perfect life, nor should they expect a perfect. The parents had no legal obligation to get the kid a SSN. Most did do that since the 1970s because they wanted the tax exemption for the dependent, but for that however parents may not bother getting kids SSNs.

I wrote that because I have had about 15 applicants who were qualified for entry-level jobs recently that I had to turn away because they could not get the I-9 required ID in a timely fashion. In all cases, they were 18, had been homeschooled. It is very easy to get a kid an SSN. It is not so easy for an adult to get one from scratch.

Part of a parents job, if not the most important part, is to prepare the child for life.

Actually, it was 1986 TM. But still, it was longer than this poster was alive.

Just a thought but why not just take everything you have and go to the SS office. Be prepared to spend the day. No matter what you find on line, this is going to be your exit strategy. Let them tell you what you need to do. It will be a rough day, but as mentioned, your parents set you up for it.

I was maybe 12 when I got my SS card. My younger sibs got their cards the same day. My father felt this was something parents were supposed to, like pay taxes and vote. It is perhaps unfortunate that you need a license to drive a car but any pair of idiots can become parents.

What state do you live in?

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    Sorry, but no. This comes nowhere close to "abuse." The idea that our society seems to be heading towards where anything bad or difficult that happens to a child must be abuse is wrong. Kids are not entitled to a perfect life, nor should they expect a perfect. The parents had no legal obligation to get the kid a SSN. Most did do that since the 1970s because they wanted the tax exemption for the dependent, but for that however parents may not bother getting kids SSNs.
    Opting not to get your child an SSN while they are a child however does seriously hamstring the child later in life. It makes things far more complicated for them than life needs to be. Look at this OP. It may not be abuse, but its not a nice thing to do to your child.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast