Default Graduated Driver's License Suspension Due to a Late Report of a Traffic Violation

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Illinois.

On February 4th, 2016, Peoria County convicted me of my first speeding. 2 years and 8 months later, that conviction was reported to the Secretary of State. As a result of this delayed reporting, my license is now suspended for one year. You see, Iím currently in the GDL program. During the 2 years and 8 months since I was convicted in Peoria County, my license has been suspended. In order to graduate from the GDL program, I had to turn 21 and drive 6 months conviction free. My license was reinstated in May and I turned 21 in June. Iíve learned my lesson and have driven responsibly, so I was looking forward to graduating next month. Then, this ticket from nearly three years ago is reported and as a result, my license is automatically suspended for a year.

Is there anything I can do to make this conviction go away?

Default Re: Graduated Driver's License Suspension Due to a Late Report of a Traffic Violation

Is the issue that the Secretary of State is properly treating you as having committed the traffic violation back in 2016, but you were hoping that they would never learn of the offense and are now trying to find a way to keep it from being reflected in your record, or is the problem that the Secretary of State is treating the offense incorrectly (e.g., treating the 2016 offense as if it occurred in late 2018)?

If the Secretary of State is acting according to state law, there is not much that you can do. You can speak with a lawyer about the 2016 ticket to see if there might be a way to revisit your conviction for that ticket, but that's a long shot. If the Secretary of State is not following state law or its internal procedures, please clarify so that we can discuss other options.

1. Sponsored Links