Default Protecting the Inheritance of Children from a Prior Marriage

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Iowa.

My husband and I both have children from previous marriages. I got the house in my previous divorce. After we married we refinanced and are both on the deed. I am concerned about what would happen if I were to die before him. He would get the life insurance and the house. The life insurance would more than cover the mortgage. However, I don't think he would leave my children anything upon his death.

I want to know if there is any way to insure all of our children would benefit after our deaths.

Default Re: Help

You can make your children the beneficiaries of your life insurance. Of course, you can will all of your personal items to them as well.

Default Re: Help

Quote Quoting ericalinn1
    View Post
    I want to know if there is any way to insure all of our children would benefit after our deaths.
    There are lots of things you might be able to do, but one would need to be thoroughly familiar with your financial situation to speak intelligently about your options. Beyond that, you and your husband need to have an honest discussion about this issue and probably should consult with a local estate planning attorney. It might be that creating a trust that becomes irrevocable after the first of you dies would be a good option.

Default Re: Protecting the Inheritance of Children from a Prior Marriage

Quote Quoting ericalinn1
    View Post
    My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Iowa.

My husband and I both have children from previous marriages. I got the house in my previous divorce. After we married we refinanced and are both on the deed. I am concerned about what would happen if I were to die before him. He would get the life insurance and the house. The life insurance would more than cover the mortgage. However, I don't think he would leave my children anything upon his death.

The only way that you can make sure that your children receive something is to make them beneficiaries of your life insurance or of any separate accounts or investments that you have. You could have left them your house if you had not added your husband to the deed, but its too late now for that.

1. Sponsored Links