Default Patient Dismissed from Pain Clinic for Not Responding to Pill Count Request

My question involves malpractice in the state of: Tennessee

I have been a patient at a pain clinic for over two years. I have had 4 back surgeries so being a pain patient wasn’t a stretch. Anyways during that time I have never been short on medication, nor have I asked for increases. I received a letter in the mail stating that I was discharged because they tried to contact me for a pill count but couldn’t get ahold of me. They left no message. My question is can they discharge me for not being available for a pill count without so much as leaving me a voicemail?? I believe this is just wrong.

Thanks for any input!

Default Re: Patient Dismissed from Pain Clinic

Yes they can. Your option is to find another pain clinic.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

Not only can they, they are well advised to.

Do not wait to start looking for another doctor to treat your pain. It may or may not take a while. Depending on what your medical records say. You might not be able to find a doctor.

Each doctor has their own way of prescribing. Depending in what you were prescribed. You may or may not find another doctor that will prescribe the same medication and/or quantity.

When you called the pain clinic to find out if they had your correct contact information (vis a vis them trying to do a pill count), what did they say?

Another reason you need to start looking ASAP for a new doctor. Dozens of pain clinics closed in Tennessee this past July. They closed due to legal and financial problems. Chances are good most doctors have waiting lists. You cam talk to your PCP. Perhaps he or she will agree to prescribe your pain medications until you can get in to see a pain doctor.

As a pain management physician, I can empathize with both sides of this issue. The doctor needs to be super cautious because many patients are not compliant and this puts his license and their lives at risk.

You should explore non-opiate therapies for your pain. New things are coming out all the time.

The mentality of giving opiates and then simply cranking up the dose when the chronic pain gets worse is outdated.

Of course opiates do you have a place in pain management, however, physicians need to be more selective with them.

New medications that are not addictive, and new procedures are showing promise. You should find a physician who up to date and could help you out.
    Good luck.

1. Sponsored Links