Default How Do You Find a Good Lawyer if You're Arrested and Put in Jail

My question involves criminal law for the state of: WA

If for some reason I get arrested, what is the recommended procedure to find and hire a good lawyer while being detained?
    Don't ask me arrested for what, because I have no idea. Most likely police mistake.

I guess this can be split into two questions: how much time and what methods (phone calls? email?) would the police give me to find a lawyer? And how do I come up with a lawyer/law firm to call out of the blue? Should I google for the top criminal law firm in the area? Assuming I'm allowed access to a computer or my smartphone.

Is it a good idea to ask for a public defender, and then ask the public defender to help find a good private lawyer?

Default Re: How Do You Find a Good Lawyer if You're Arrested and Put in Jail

If you are arrested and in custody, you will not have access to your cell phone or the internet. You will be able to make a call and it should be to your family to arrange bail. Then you can find an attorney. If you can't afford one, then you ask for the public defender.

Default Re: How Do You Find a Good Lawyer if You're Arrested and Put in Jail

Read this. If you're in jail your ability to find a good lawyer may be limited, in which case you can consider enlisting the help of a trusted friend or family member.

If you are indigent such that you qualify for a court-appointed lawyer or public defender, there is no reason not to meet with your lawyer before deciding if you want to try to somehow raise the money to hire a private lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links