Default Employer Discussed Passport Issues With an Embassy Employee

I'm not sure what area in this form that this question would fit. I'm thinking Civil Rights might be a suitable topic for this question.

A few months ago I was working in Beijing. I decided to go on vacation for a while so asked for leave and got permission from my boss. The plan was to take a week off, and go to my home in California to visit my family and friends. A day before the time I had planed to go back I receive a letter from child support saying my passport rights have been revoked.

This was obviously a mistake that I had to correct later, but I had to tell my boss that I would be very late returning to get this sorted out and my passport released. However my boss said he has a friend in the US Embassy and that he'd ask him to check the status of my passport, and if there's anything that could be done. I told him no. It's not necessary, but he did it anyways, and since he had a scanned copy of my passport data page it wasn't hard to ask his friend about me. At this point I'm feeling that a line has been crossed and he or his friend at the US Embassy have no right to do this. No one should be able to do this without consent. What should / can I do legally about this?

Default Re: Passport Privacy Invasion

Quote Quoting learningmyrights
    View Post
    I told him no. It's not necessary, but he did it anyways, and since he had a scanned copy of my passport data page it wasn't hard to ask his friend about me. At this point I'm feeling that a line has been crossed and he or his friend at the US Embassy have no right to do this. No one should be able to do this without consent. What should / can I do legally about this?
    So your boss asked his friend about it. That is not illegal nor a violation of any of your rights. Your boss had the scan of your passport, so he already had that information. What, if anything, did his friend at the Embassy tell him about you?

Default Re: Employer Discussed Passport Issues With an Embassy Employee

View Post
    What should / can I do legally about this?
    At this point your boss may have asked a friend about your passport, but it is not known whether or not the friend did anything in response or shared any information about you with your boss. The embassy employee is not going to get in trouble for being asked an unsolicited question. If in fact the employee violated your privacy rights, you can make a complaint to the embassy -- but keep in mind that it could have repercussions for your employment if you get your boss's friend in trouble.

As for your boss? If you don't like the way your boss treats you, you can look for other work. As your boss and workplace are apparently in Beijing, it's also not clear that your question falls under U.S. law, as opposed to Chinese law.

All I know is that his friend looked into the US embassy's government system to check the status of my passport, and relayed information back to him. At the very least he was told that my passport was suspended.

View Post
    All I know is that his friend looked into the US embassy's government system to check the status of my passport, and relayed information back to him. At the very least he was told that my passport was suspended.
    So his friend told your boss the same thing YOU told your boss? I'm not seeing what's gotten you in such a swivet.

1. Sponsored Links