Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is Threatening Suicide Illegal

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Georgia

I'm not talking about actually threatening suicide, but I'm referring to saying, "I'm going to kill myself" as a way of manipulating a significant other/other person in general. Say if they were to say something that an individual didn't like to hear, and they said as an effort to manipulate the other person, "I'm going to kill myself" as a way of discouraging it or encouraging another person to do a certain thing. The individual is NOT suicidal at all. They simply are saying that they will kill themselves if x,y,z happens. If in theory the person receiving these sucide threats were to call the cops, and on their arrival said that they weren't "actually going to kill themselves" and just calmly went to the psychiatrist that they were taken to and said the same.......... that they didn't actually mean it, that it was "just saying it to make a point because of x,y,z" and that they would NEVER actually harm themselves. Would they be charged with anything? Because a friend of mine has a manipulative gf who does this regularly, so I was just wondering what would happen in this scenario here. Oddly enough, the one making these suicide threats is pretty much friends with everyone I know and this dynamic kinda surprises me.

Default Re: Is Threatening Suicide Illegal

Suicidal ideations = 911 IMMEDIATELY.

To expound a bit: she doesn't need your opinion, she doesn't need a cop and she doesn't need a lawyer. If she's talking about that, she needs evaluation by a psychiatrist NOW.

If someone is talking about harming themselves or others, the state can hold them involuntarily in a hospital while the doctors sort things out. She may hate you for this for a while, but we're talking about life and death here.

Quote Quoting Steve418
    View Post
    a friend of mine has a manipulative gf who does this regularly,
    Then he's a moron for staying with her and deserves whatever grief she gives him.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

This is a common form of manipulation by SO's. It prevents the other from exercising their own rights and needs for what the other wants.

I agree with the above, run for the hills because this behavior won't change without some for of intervention. I also agree that calling 911 or obtaining other therapeutic intervention is required immediately! You don't get to make that determination, whether or not the threat is real. If it is real then your friend could run afoul other issues, not the least of which is damaging his own psyche by having to live with the knowledge that his apathy/decisions contributed to the death of a loved one. IT will haunt him for the rest of his life and he'll think about it every day. Everyday he'll have to say I did wrong and not only did this person die but it caused untold suffering for their other loved ones.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Steve418
    View Post
    I'm not talking about actually threatening suicide, but I'm referring to saying, "I'm going to kill myself," as a way of manipulating a significant other/other person in general.
    Please explain how saying, "I'm going to kill myself" is not "actually threatening suicide." If the motivation is to manipulate someone else, the threat will only be effective if the other person believes it's a legitimate threat.

In any event, no, saying, "I'm going to kill myself," is not a crime.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Quote Quoting Steve418
    View Post
    a friend of mine has a manipulative gf who does this regularly
    Then he's a moron for staying with her and deserves whatever grief she gives him.
    Concur.

Merely saying you are going to commit a crime is not a crime in itself and is not grounds to have you arrested. It is like saying, "I am going to kill you" or "I am going to rob a bank".

That being said, sometimes it is illegal to state a claim to crime without intention of doing so, such as:

Yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.
    Yelling "hijack" or "I have a bomb" on a plane.

The reason for this is because it can cause fear and chaos in other people and cause harm in an evil way.

You can, but it is not advised, to threaten to "hurt the president of the U.S.". You may not be arrested or charged with a crime, but you surely will get a lot of attention. And if they feel you pose a legitimate threat to national security - you just might see the inside of a jail cell.

But overall, what you are asking, the answer is generally "no", unless doing so invokes harm on other people.

Quote Quoting Guybrush
    View Post
    Merely saying you are going to commit a crime is not a crime in itself and is not grounds to have you arrested. It is like saying, "I am going to kill you" or "I am going to rob a bank".
    Depending on the circumstances and jurisdiction, you can very much be arrested for saying "I am going to kill you".

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Depending on the circumstances and jurisdiction, you can very much be arrested for saying "I am going to kill you".
    Yes - pretty much what I said in my post when I stated "...the answer is generally "no", unless doing so invokes harm on other people."

Quote Quoting Guybrush
    View Post
    Yes - pretty much what I said in my post when I stated "...the answer is generally "no", unless doing so invokes harm on other people."
    Or cause a person to reasonably be in fear for their life/safety.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Quote Quoting Guybrush
    View Post
    Merely saying you are going to commit a crime is not a crime in itself and is not grounds to have you arrested.
    Hence the reason why the word "merely" was used. "Circumstances" take it out of the realm of "merely saying."

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast