Default Landlord Sent Rent Balance to Collections Without First Notifying the Tenant

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: TN

I moved out of my apt July 31st. I went to the leasing office and was told the remaining balance. I paid it immediately.
    Fast forward to Sep 25th, I receive a notice from a collection agency saying I owe $200. Thing is, I was never called, emailed, or mailed about this before it was sent off to a collection agency.
    I'm more than happy to pay it. I just want to ensure this collection won't be reported to the credit bureaus.
    The letter states I have 30 days to dispute or it's considered valid.

I'm going to pay, but how do I make sure it's not reported to the credit bureaus?

Default Re: Remaining Apartment Rent Balance Sent to Collections Without First Notifying Me

If you paid your balance on July 31 how do you end up owing $200 on Sep 25?

Any time an account goes to collections there is no obligation to notify you. You have no control over reports to credit bureaus. All you can do is pay and hope and monitor your credit reports.

Default Re: Remaining Apartment Rent Balance Sent to Collections Without First Notifying Me

Call them and ask, that's all you can do. If they say they will report to the credit bureaus, then ask them if you pay the total due the same day, will they not report it to the CB. Most of the time, they want to close the case and move on to the next one, so you might have a little leverage that way.
    Please come back and report to us what they say.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    If you paid your balance on July 31 how do you end up owing $200 on Sep 25?
    My new apt lease started July 31st. My old lease ended July 25th. Management let me stay those extra 6 days and said I wouldn't be charged those addt'l days. Upon moving out on July 31st I stopped by the leasing office. I was told the final balance was $120 and paid that. Now here I am with $200 being owed without any prior notice. That's why I said I'm more than happy to pay bc I imagine it's for those extra days. Still, I just wish they'd given me a chance before handing it to collections. I know they're not legally obligated, but I did contact them multiple times since July 31st asking if everything was paid up as I found it kind of weird they let me stay those extra days for free...

I'm going to send a letter similar to a Pay to Delete, but obviously it's Pay to Not Report. I was wondering if they're required by law to adhere to it if they should agree.

If there is a phone number, call them. If you do it through the U.S. Mail, you just may find out that you ran out of time and they made the report already.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links