Default How to Recover a Gift Your Parents Gave to You as a Minor

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Illinois (Cook and DuPage Counties specifically)

We live in the south suburbs of Chicago, and a few years ago while I was underage my parents gave me a new bike for a present (as my old one didn't work anymore). A few weeks ago, when I was packing up to go to college for the first time they told me they were forcing me to leave my bike behind so that for their own personal use. Legally, what can I (an almost-broke college student) do to get my bike back from them?

Default Re: Parents Giving Gifts to Children While Underage

How old are you now?

Quote Quoting gomalley411
    View Post
    My question involves personal property located in the State of: Illinois (Cook and DuPage Counties specifically)

We live in the south suburbs of Chicago, and a few years ago while I was underage my parents gave me a new bike for a present (as my old one didn't work anymore). A few weeks ago, when I was packing up to go to college for the first time they told me they were forcing me to leave my bike behind so that for their own personal use. Legally, what can I (an almost-broke college student) do to get my bike back from them?
    You may sue your parents for the return of the bike or for the used value of the bike. Doing that may result in your parents cutting you off from any support your parents were willing to give you for college, or reduce it more than the value of that bike, so be careful what you wish for here. They have no obligation whatsoever to pay for anything for you now that you are an adult.

They can also refuse to give you information and sign your FASFA forms.

I imagine there's more going on here than just a bike. My advice would be to drop the whole thing, go be successful, and hope to salvage some sort of relationship at a later date.

1. Sponsored Links