Default Financial Discovery in Divorce

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Georgia

I've been ordered to pay temporary alimony during the Discovery process. I submitted all of my Discovery documents to her side, and she has not. She was given several extensions. My attorney filed a Motion to Compel and requested to suspend alimony payments so that she would not profit from her own delay. Also, we discovered that she spent and tried to hide $49,000 during the case. My attorney filed a Motion to Enjoin Defendant from Disposing of Marital Property and asked that the money be returned to the marital estate.

That said, there has been no answer from the judge yet on any of this. Should I pay the alimony? (I have paid 4 months so far, this would be the 5th) Her own attorney filed a Notice of Intent to Withdraw last week. She is harassing me about the payments and my attorney is currently unavailable. I live paycheck to paycheck with no savings and she has over $20,000. I have a kid as well (not hers, she doesn't have one).

Default Re: Financial Discovery in Divorce

Quote Quoting hans278
    View Post
    That said, there has been no answer from the judge yet on any of this. Should I pay the alimony?
    You should follow the court's order unless and until it is changed. You can speak with your lawyer, when your lawyer becomes available, about the possibility of having your lawyer hold your payments in escrow -- but you need to be careful not to risk being held in contempt of court.

Default Re: Financial Discovery in Divorce

Quote Quoting hans278
    View Post
    I've been ordered to pay temporary alimony during the Discovery process. . . . My attorney filed a Motion . . . and requested to suspend alimony payments. . . .

. . . there has been no answer from the judge yet on any of this.
    What did your lawyer say when you asked him/her this question?

1. Sponsored Links