Default Who Gets the Dog if You Break Up

My question involves a marriage in the state of: OH

Sorry, did not know where to post this...

My friend has been separated from her ex-boyfriend for over a year. They purchased a dog together while living with each other. They have shared custody of the pet. Recently the ex notified her that he does not want to go on "sharing" the dog anymore.

What can be done in this situation? Here are a few facts.

They split the cost of the purchase of the dog (she's the one who drove to pick it up). They split the cost of food and vet bills.
    Her children really love the dog and from what i've heard the bond isnt that strong with his kids.
    Her schedule is more open to giving the dog its proper attention and care and when she works her children take care of it. He has a multiple-day on/off schedule which often leaves him giving the dog to her while he does multiple day shifts in a row.

Any thoughts on this?

Default Re: Who Gets the Dog Non-Marriage

Two options:

1 - Fight it out in court. It'll take months, more money than the dog is worth, she and the kids will experience severe emotional distress over the fight, no guarantee that she would win.

2 - She takes the kids to the local dog pound, has them walk down the aisle looking at the dogs in their cages, they will fall in love with another dog and forget the old one.

Life lesson for your friend: Never go halfsies on anything with boyfriends.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Two options:

1 - Fight it out in court. It'll take months, more money than the dog is worth, she and the kids will experience severe emotional distress over the fight, no guarantee that she would win.

2 - She takes the kids to the local dog pound, has them walk down the aisle looking at the dogs in their cages, they will fall in love with another dog and forget the old one.

Life lesson for your friend: Never go halfsies on anything with boyfriends.
    I can think of another option. She waits until the next time she has the dog and refuses to return it to the ex. She offers the ex half of the fair market value of the dog, in writing. If the ex refuses that and serves her, then she demonstrates that she made that offer to the judge.

That might work if there is a "next time" that she has the dog.

My guess is that the ex made the announcement while the dog was in his possession and isn't likely to let her have her turn.

Is this a purebred dog? If so, in whose name is the registration (or is it in both names)? If the dog is licensed, whose name is on the license info (or are both names on the license info)?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I can think of another option. She waits until the next time she has the dog and refuses to return it to the ex. She offers the ex half of the fair market value of the dog, in writing. If the ex refuses that and serves her, then she demonstrates that she made that offer to the judge.
    Offers of compromise are not admissible in court.

Quote Quoting LegalWriter
    View Post
    Offers of compromise are not admissible in court.
    More correctly,
    Quote Quoting Ohio Rules of Evidence, Rule 408. Compromise and Offers to Compromise
    Evidence of (1) furnishing or offering or promising to furnish, or (2) accepting or offering or promising to accept, a valuable consideration in compromisin g or attempting to compromise a claim which was disputed as to either validity or amount, is not admissible to prove liability for or invalidity of the claim or its amount....
    The fact that an offer was made would be of limited evidentiary value, but that rule would not render it per se inadmissible, as opposed to (for example) rendering it inadmissible as evidence of the value of the dog.

Quote Quoting DENIMKATY
    View Post
    My friend has been separated from her ex-boyfriend for over a year. They purchased a dog together while living with each other. They have shared custody of the pet. Recently the ex notified her that he does not want to go on "sharing" the dog anymore.
    Why would you post the same question as was posted a year ago when all the answers are already laid out for you?

Duh and Double Duh.

1. Sponsored Links