Default Does a Marijuana Possession Conviction Jeopardize Travel in Europe

When I was a college student studying abroad in Italy 25 years ago, I was briefly detained while entering the country via train with about two grams of cannabis following a weekend trip to Amsterdam. Yes, a dumb move, I know. Of course, I’m a much more responsible, middle-aged married father of two now, and I want to take my family to Italy as part of a planned trip next year to several European countries. My dilemma is this:

Way back when, I was given a distant court date in Italy for the drug case. But my study abroad program ended long before my court date, and when it did, I left the country to return to the states. As I missed my court date, I have no idea what happened with my case. I’ve returned to Europe since then, traveling to Spain in 2005 with no troubles, but I’ve yet to go back to Italy. If I do, will I be arrested upon entry or, say, when I give my passport to a pensione or hotel? Would I have any other potential problems in other EU countries? Short of serving out a sentence in an Italian jail for a stupid college kid’s mistake from 25 years ago, how can I resolve this ?

Default Re: Does Old Marijuana Possession Case in Italy Jeopardize My Travel in Europe

Quote Quoting lewk
    View Post
    When I was a college student studying abroad in Italy 25 years ago, I was briefly detained while entering the country via train with about two grams of cannabis following a weekend trip to Amsterdam. Yes, a dumb move, I know. Of course, I’m a much more responsible, middle-aged married father of two now, and I want to take my family to Italy as part of a planned trip next year to several European countries. My dilemma is this:

Way back when, I was given a distant court date in Italy for the drug case. But my study abroad program ended long before my court date, and when it did, I left the country to return to the states. As I missed my court date, I have no idea what happened with my case. I’ve returned to Europe since then, traveling to Spain in 2005 with no troubles, but I’ve yet to go back to Italy. If I do, will I be arrested upon entry or, say, when I give my passport to a pensione or hotel? Would I have any other potential problems in other EU countries? Short of serving out a sentence in an Italian jail for a stupid college kid’s mistake from 25 years ago, how can I resolve this ?
    You are going to want to talk to a lawyer in Italy.

My ex had a cousin who was born in Italy, but his family moved to Canada and became permanent residents there, so he lived his entire life in Canada but remained an Italian citizen. Apparently, when he turned 18 he was required to do military service in Italy and was considered a no show/awol. He got married in his early 30s and decided to take his honeymoon in Italy. He had never been back there. Shortly after checking into his hotel (after turning over his passport at the front desk) he was arrested for being a no show/awol for his military service.

You definitely don't want to vacation in Italy unless you have had an attorney review things to see where you stand.

Default Re: Does Old Marijuana Possession Case in Italy Jeopardize My Travel in Europe

Pardons Canada can help you buddy. you need protection!

1. Sponsored Links