Default Minor's Name Change, Parents Never Married

I have a daughter who is 13 and wishes for her last name to be changed to her stepfather's (my husband of 8 yrs).

I was never married to her biological father, and received sole custody of her 11 yrs ago, which was also the last time I have seen or heard from him.

As for child support I was in/out of court in PA for a 1 1/2 yrs, but if the father never showed they just keep pushing for another court date. The court date or judgment never came!

We live in Florida now. So my question is....Do I need his consent, or a signature? I haven't a clue where he is or if even alive.

Also I see all these name change forms on legalzoom.com or namechange.com..are these papers legal?

Can anyone give me advise?

Default Re: Minor Name Change

If Pennsylvania has jurisdiction over custody and support, you're going to have to petition that court for the name change. If the father can be located, he is entitled to notice of the proceedings. If you've lived in Florida for more than six months, you can petition the Florida courts to assume jursidiction over the custody matters such that these proceedings could occur in Florida.

I can't speak to the validity of forms I've never seen.

Default Re: Minor Name Change

Quote Quoting Sharyn
    View Post
    I have a daughter who is 13 and wishes for her last name to be changed to her stepfather's (my husband of 8 yrs).

I was never married to her biological father, and received sole custody of her 11 yrs ago, which was also the last time I have seen or heard from him.

As for child support I was in/out of court in PA for a 1 1/2 yrs, but if the father never showed they just keep pushing for another court date. The court date or judgment never came!

We live in Florida now. So my question is....Do I need his consent, or a signature? I haven't a clue where he is or if even alive.

Also I see all these name change forms on legalzoom.com or namechange.com..are these papers legal?

Can anyone give me advise?
    You can find Florida law forms at www.flcourts.org click on family law forms.

1. Sponsored Links