Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Can I Be Libel for Having a Sign in My Yard

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    You can talk about someone making an ultimatum or you can speak of the law. OP is looking for what works for them. The builder cannot remove the lateral support of OP's land. That is the law. Just because he/she doesn't understand that doesn't make it any less according to the law.

The sign and what it says doesn't matter one iota.
    what the sign says could matter. In the case at hand it appears to be innocuous and doesn’t matter but there is verbiage that could be displayed that could either be unlawful or libelous.

I don’t suspect page1067’s possibilities would be enforceable. As long as op has a lawful right to post what he has and it is not libelous, concerns such as extortion or tortious interference wouldn’t apply anymore than it would to a spiteful neighbor painting their home lime green to piss off everybody.

Depending on the actual topographical specs, builder may have an issue with either creating a hazardous condition where a person injured due to the “cliff” could successfully sue the builder or if it creates a concern for op such as causing a concern of a landslide damaging ops property.

so, it’s time for an engineer and a lawyer to review the situation. If the cliff does not endanger ops property, he has no lawful right to demand builder do anything. If it does create a concern of erosion or a landslide, op has a basis to demand builder shore up the land to prevent erosion or a landslide. If it is a hazard for injury, in a legal concern, then op would likely be relegated to seeking the local municipality take action to force builder to make the area safe.

If neither apply, well, op can build his own fence to block the view and protect his grandchildren. If builder is under no legal obligation or concern for liability, op may be fighting a losing battle.

ll, you are responding to a year-old post that has been resurrected by denimkaty with an arbitrary post. And so is JK.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    ll, you are responding to a year-old post that has been resurrected by denimkaty with an arbitrary post. And so is JK.

Damn, had again

thanks

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    You are going to have to explain further. What sort of sign? emi calculator gst login ifsc code Is your lot covered by the covenants for the development? Is the sign in the public right of way? There are really several levels to this.

If your sign is on a state road right of way, it's likely illegal. Signs within the right of way require a permit and are limited to legitimate traffic control devices. Signs further back from the roadway are generally legal, but there may be certain local ordiances or covenants that restrict these.

Anything that is libelous (i.e., a falsehood with intent to injure) is civilly actionable no matter where you put it (if the public can see it).
    I put up a sign as a deal maker: you put the fence and I'll remove the sign . I have lived in the same house for 50 yrs.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4