Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Can I Be Libel for Having a Sign in My Yard

Quote Quoting mike oc
    View Post
    Did not know builder was to remove 15 feet of soil. Made a cliff in my back yard. Unable to have my small grandchildren alone in the yard. One on his own man fell down the cliff one day when it was wet. All I want for him to be responsible . I have asked him for the fence. I should have the right to have anything legal on my property.
    You should be looking for a lot more than a fence. You should be looking for a retaining wall to ensure that your property doesn't end up sliding down that 15 foot hill.

You REALLY need to get an attorney involved ASAP.

I may have to get an attorney. Plans are to talk with builder and see what we can do. My preference is not do the the legal route.

He created a 15 foot hill that could cause a landslide without a retaining wall. That permanently damages the value of your property. You have no choice but to get an attorney involved.

I read through this thread -- albeit not carefully.

If I understand the facts correctly, you've posted a sign that the neighboring property owner doesn't like (a sign which says "Female Review" -- or, given how you described the sign, "Female Revue" would seem more likely -- and has nothing else on it) because you believe it may impair the neighbor's ability to sell the neighboring lot. You are doing this in order to extort the neighbor into installing a fence behind your property. As far I can tell, the neighbor has no legal obligation to install the fence.

This has nothing to do with libel (or any other form of defamation). It doesn't seem to me that you have any obligation to take down the sign. However, if, in fact, your sign impairs the neighbor's ability to sell the property, you could be liable for interference with prospective economic advantage. I also mentioned extortion. I haven't looked up the law, but that's also a possibility.

If in fact the builder remove the lateral support of OP's property, then they( OP) would be in a good position to have that lateral support replaced by at least a retaining wall and perhaps a fence.

The common law is well established.

It is an established principle of law that every owner of land has the right to lateral support from the adjoining soil, and if a landowner removes the soil from his own land so near the land of his neighbor that his neighbor's soil will crumble away under its own weight, he is liable for damages so occasioned. The right of support to land from the adjoining soil is a right of property, and not an easement, and if that support is withdrawn and injury ensues, he can maintain an action for damages without proving negligence or want of skill on the part of the adjoining owner.
    https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...en&as_sdt=4,21

The sign, for all you who do not get the point, is to bring attention to the fact that there is a 15 foot drop-off behind the sign. The sigh itself and what it says has no bearing on the situation.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    The sign, for all you who do not get the point, is to bring attention to the fact that there is a 15 foot drop-off behind the sign. The sigh itself and what it says has no bearing on the situation.
    Oh we get the point all right! The sign has complete bearing on the situation - it's there specifically as an attempt to force the builder to put up a fence. (As in "As long as this sign is here you won't be able to sell anything in the development. If you want me to remove the sign - so you can sell properties in the development - you must build a fence.")

You can talk about someone making an ultimatum or you can speak of the law. OP is looking for what works for them. The builder cannot remove the lateral support of OP's land. That is the law. Just because he/she doesn't understand that doesn't make it any less according to the law.

The sign and what it says doesn't matter one iota.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    You can talk about someone making an ultimatum or you can speak of the law. OP is looking for what works for them. The builder cannot remove the lateral support of OP's land. That is the law. Just because he/she doesn't understand that doesn't make it any less according to the law.

The sign and what it says doesn't matter one iota.
    What the sign said mattered because he listed it under "Defamation, slander, and libel" and the general consensus was that the contents of the sign were somehow libel or defamation against the builder. It was the incorrect placement and wording in the OP that caused the sign to be brought up.

Quote Quoting mike oc
    View Post
    it's a plastic 6 foot long sign. Was originally used for a bar years ago.My neighbor purchased it from a yard sale. Sign on my private property . I sold the land to a developer which in turn sold the finished lots to a builder. The builder is the one that caused the 15 foot hill. I emi calculator gst login ifsc code want the builder just to put a fence up.
    I have lived in the same house for 50 yrs.

Quote Quoting mike oc
    View Post
    if you could read the prior notes, I would not have to explain it to you over and over.
    Mike, I am assuming that you are trying to respond to all of the people who asked you what the sign said. If you use the quote button instead of the reply button, then you will quote the person who asked you the question, and it will look less like you are repeating yourself over and over again.

However, if you had answered the question clearly the first time that it was asked of you, you would not have been asked multiple times. I also bet that the sign said "female revue" rather than "female review".

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast