Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Can I Be Sued Over a Sign I Place in My Yard

My question involves defamation in the state of: Maryland.

I want thae developer to install a fence (4k cost) to keep individuals from falling down a 15 foor hill in my back yard. Which the developer created to remove dirt foe new homes. For the last 50 years the land behind my yard has been flat.

I put up a sign as a deal maker: you put the fence and I'll remove the sign . I have lived in the same house for 50 yrs.

Default Re: Can I Be Libel for Having a Sign in My Yard

You are going to have to explain further. What sort of sign? Is your lot covered by the covenants for the development? Is the sign in the public right of way? There are really several levels to this.

If your sign is on a state road right of way, it's likely illegal. Signs within the right of way require a permit and are limited to legitimate traffic control devices. Signs further back from the roadway are generally legal, but there may be certain local ordiances or covenants that restrict these.

Anything that is libelous (i.e., a falsehood with intent to injure) is civilly actionable no matter where you put it (if the public can see it).

it's a plastic 6 foot long sign. Was originally used for a bar years ago.My neighbor purchased it from a yard sale. Sign on my private property . I sold the land to a developer which in turn sold the finished lots to a builder. The builder is the one that caused the 15 foot hill. I want the builder just to put a fence up.

Is the sign lighted? Were there coventants made when you sold the land? Your best bet is to stop playing childish games and go get yourself an attorney who can look at the situation and advise the best way to proceed.

What is written on the sign?

Quote Quoting mike oc
    View Post
    it's a plastic 6 foot long sign. Was originally used for a bar years ago.My neighbor purchased it from a yard sale. Sign on my private property . I sold the land to a developer which in turn sold the finished lots to a builder. The builder is the one that caused the 15 foot hill. I want the builder just to put a fence up.
    why did you not ask for the fence in the deal when the developer bought your land? Did you not consider that you might want a fence between your new boundary and the develiopment? That would have been the time to negotiate the boundary...not sure you have much standing to demand it now if the hill is past your current property line.

Did not know builder was to remove 15 feet of soil. Made a cliff in my back yard. Unable to have my small grandchildren alone in the yard. One on his own man fell down the cliff one day when it was wet. All I want for him to be responsible . I have asked him for the fence. I should have the right to have anything legal on my property.

You do have the right to have legal things on your property as long as those things don't infringe on others rights.

So what does the sign say?

You still haven't said what the sign says. I wouldn't expect the builder to do anything for you if he's not contractually required to. If I were him, I'd simply tell you that if you want a fence build it yourself. It's your property, not mine, you're problem, not mine. If MD has a statute regarding fencing between contiguous neighbors, you may be able to force the builder to pay for half the cost....Consult local counsel.

I have asked him for the fence prior to the sign. This is a National Builder of Homes ( Horton). You would think they would want good neighbors . 4k to then is lunch money. I did say I would remove the sign if they told me they would install a fence.

Female review

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast