Default When Can a Religious Community Center Cancel a Contract for an Event

My question involves civil rights in the State of: Maryland

I am a psychic medium and I had recently had an event scheduled at the local community center. We had signed the contract for the evening agreed upon for use of the event room which also doubles as a church of some sort, but still part of the community center. Over the last couple days, my contact there has been avoiding my calls and voicemails and as the date nears, I haven't been able to get any information I need to set this up.

I have done events there before and everything has been fine. Today I finally received an email from them saying that "the community center is run by a board of members who have fiduciary responsibilities. The board has decided at this time that they are not comfortable with hold my event at the center."

In my contract, it states, " nondiscrimination.**CC is committed to the principle of nondiscrimination in its programs, policies, and practices in a manner consistent with its Christian foundation. Participation in Center sponsored programs will not be denied to any individual because of their race, color, national orgin, age, sex, or physical or mental disability. The center requires a similar commitment from all organizations that utilize the Centers facilities."

I am curious if I have a leg to stand on because I believe that they chose to not allow my event because of what I do for a living and they simply aren't comfortable with it, their words. If I do, what kind of process does this take and what could I expect as an end result to the trouble of filing a civil action against them.

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am not sure I want to go down this road because I am not necessarily after money, I am more hurt by what has transpired and think that it is utterly wrong.

Default Re: Should I sue? psychic medium vs community center

Psychic mediums are not a protected class under any anti-discrimination laws that I've ever come across so you don't have any cause of action for that.

However, a contract is a contract and, depending on the terms of the contract that was signed you may have a cause of action for breach of contract.

If you do have a cause of action for breach of contract you should easily be able to predict whether you win or lose. (That's a joke. Couldn't resist.)

I am not sure I want to go down this road because I am not necessarily after money
    Then get over it and move on. Because, in America, the only way we punish people for civil wrongs is by taking their money.

Psychics are not in any protected class -- so this is NOT an EEO situation. Next, just because you "believe" it's because of what you do, doesn't mean it's true. Not only would you have a difficult time proving your hunch, again, there's no legal protection for psychics. Lastly, lawsuits are about money, not hurt feelings.

psychics aren't generally "practices in a manner consistent with its Christian foundation. "
    You are not being denied "because of their race, color, national orgin, age, sex, or physical or mental disability. " but rather the first point....your practice is not consistent.

Whether someone else allowed you in before doesn't mean they have to allow you in again. I would expect for them to refund any deposit you might have paid though.

Quote Quoting Shadowbunny
    View Post
    Psychics are not in any protected class -- so this is NOT an EEO situation.
    Well, technically speaking, even if the OP was in a protected class this is not an "EEO situation." EEO stands for equal employment opportunity. The OP is not an employee or applicant for employment with the Community Center. EEO is not shorthand for every illegal discrimination situation, only those situations that involve employment.

Quote Quoting hr for me
    View Post
    psychics aren't generally "practices in a manner consistent with its Christian foundation. "
    You are not being denied "because of their race, color, national orgin, age, sex, or physical or mental disability. " but rather the first point....your practice is not consistent.

Whether someone else allowed you in before doesn't mean they have to allow you in again. I would expect for them to refund any deposit you might have paid though.
    Exactly this. It says they don't discriminate based on those items listed above. It doesn't say they don't discriminate based on religion (or their perception of your religion).

1. Sponsored Links