Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Ex-Husband Refuses to Return My Daughters School Uniforms and Other Items

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Louisiana

My Ex-husband refuses to return both of my daughters private school uniforms and other items that I have paid for and belong at my house. Short of having to go purchase these items again, which I can not afford to do, what options do I have? Can I call the sheriffs office to have a deputy go there and obtain these items. He works for the local District Attorney and feels he is above the law. He did not and will not purchase any school uniforms for them, so he is depending on the uniforms I have purchased. There is nothing in our child support or custody or court orders that states either parent is to provide school uniforms or school supplies or clothes. He makes 3 times more than me and has fewer bills than me, its not like he can't afford to purchase things for his house, he is just doing this to aggravate me.

Default Re: Ex-Husband Refuses to Return My Daughters School Uniforms and Other Items

A few questions:

How old are the girls?
    Does he p/u from school?
    Does he d/o to school?
    What is the parenting schedule?
    How many uniforms do the girls each have?

Default Re: Ex-Husband Refuses to Return My Daughters School Uniforms and Other Items

They are 14 and 8

He drop's off on his days and they ride a bus home.
    I drop them off on my days and they ride a bus home.

The 14 yr old has 4 uniforms, to include Shirt, skirt, under shorts, socks, shoes. The 8 year old has 5 to include shirt, jumper/short, socks, shoes. All of which I have paid for.
    There are also numerous amounts of other clothes and belongings he is keeping.

We have a 2,2,3 schedule that rotates each week.

I don't think any law enforcement is going to go to get some items that technically aren't stolen. The kids stay with him and go to school from his house sometimes it seems. I doubt they'd do anything about it. If they stay with him sometimes during the school week don't they need their uniforms there?

He is supposed to supply his own uniforms for them for when they are with him. I'm supposed to supply them for when they are with me. Since I am the only one with uniforms they end up all at his house and I have none.

Quote Quoting mommaneedshelp
    View Post
    My Ex-husband refuses to return both of my daughters private school uniforms and other items that I have paid for and belong at my house.
    Why is he (and not you) in possession of these items?

View Post
    Short of having to go purchase these items again, which I can not afford to do, what options do I have? Can I call the sheriffs office to have a deputy go there and obtain these items.
    You are free to call the sheriff and ask, but it is unlikely that law enforcement will get involved in a family law dispute. Does your divorce decree mention the items in question? If so, what does it say about them? Does your decree have a provision along the lines of the following: "All property not expressly conferred in this decree to one spouse or the other is hereby conferred to the spouse in possession of the property as of the date of entry of this decree"?

View Post
    he is depending on the uniforms I have purchased
    Huh?

View Post
    He is supposed to supply his own uniforms for them for when they are with him.
    Does your divorce decree say this?

View Post
    Since I am the only one with uniforms they end up all at his house and I have none.
    This probably doesn't matter, but I'm confused. If you drop off the kids in their uniforms and they ride a bus home to your house, why don't they come home in the uniforms they were wearing when you dropped them off? If you're saying that you drop them off in the morning and they ride the bus to their father's house, then aren't there also situations in which he drops them off in the morning and they ride the bus to your house in the afternoon?

The bottom line here is that you either figure this out or you go back to court and ask the judge to micromanage your lives. In the meantime, I suggest you speak with the principal of the school and explain what's going on and that there may be occasions when you have to send your kids to school out of uniform.

View Post
    He is supposed to supply his own uniforms for them for when they are with him. I'm supposed to supply them for when they are with me. Since I am the only one with uniforms they end up all at his house and I have none.
    I'm not understanding how they all stay at Dad's house. Both of your girls are quite old enough to make sure they bring uniforms back with them. I'm sorry, but they're the ones who should be doing this.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    In the meantime, I suggest you speak with the principal of the school and explain what's going on and that there may be occasions when you have to send your kids to school out of uniform.
    Or have them each keep one uniform at school.

View Post
    They are 14 and 8 years old. They can bring their uniforms home with them. The police aren't going to get involved with this. There should be no reason every uniform is at his house. Teach your kids to be responsible.

First of all that was very rude to assume and accuse someones children of not being responsible. It's not a lack of responsibility! They are both quite responsible. They are good girls with straight A's, that goes to show some sort of responsibility on their part. When they go to his home, he literally has them change out of the uniforms and picks them up in his room and does not allow them to bring them back to me the next time they come to my house, therefore there is no bringing the uniforms back to my house. The other thing is our schedule is different in that we don't actually have to physically do a swap of the girls from one parent to the other. They ride a bus to each parents house when it is the day for them to go there. We have a 2,2,3 schedule which means during one week they are with me Monday Night and Tuesday Night, then Wednesday after school they ride the bus to his house and stay with him Wednesday Night and Thursday Night, and then Friday after school they ride the bus home to my house and stay with me until Monday morning when I bring them to school. It rotates each week so that every other weekend is a 3 day weekend with each parent. Fridays are a jean day for them, so this is where the uniforms are getting left at his house. When they stay at his house on Thursdays they go there in uniforms, go to school Friday in jeans, and ride the bus to my house in jeans. So he ends up with all the uniforms that belong at my house.

It's not a lack of responsibility, they are both quite responsible. When they go to his home, he literally has them change out of the uniforms and picks them up in his room and does not allow them to bring them back to me the next time they come to my house, therefore there is no bringing the uniforms back to my house. The other thing is our schedule is different in that we don't actually have to physically do a swap of the girls from one parent to the other. They ride a bus to each parents house when it is the day for them to go there. We have a 2,2,3 schedule which means during one week they are with me Monday Night and Tuesday Night, then Wednesday after school they ride the bus to his house and stay with him Wednesday Night and Thursday Night, and then Friday after school they ride the bus home to my house and stay with me until Monday morning when I bring them to school. It rotates each week so that every other weekend is a 3 day weekend with each parent. Fridays are a jean day for them, so this is where the uniforms are getting left at his house. When they stay at his house on Thursdays they go there in uniforms, go to school Friday in jeans, and ride the bus to my house in jeans. So he ends up with all the uniforms that belong at my house.

So on the days the kids come to your house after he sends them to school, he does not send them to school in their uniform?

NM. I just saw the Friday issue.

You are going to have to go to court to get it ordered. It's sad, but that seems like your only option.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast