Default Can a Professor Discuss a Student's Attendnace With Other Students

My question involves education law in the State of: Texas

Can a university professor discuss attendance with another student, who complained about special attendance arrangements made prior to semester beginning with the instructor (DOCUMENTED). This was all discussed without my knowledge or consent. The instructor then refused to honor his agreement and caused me a loss of scholarship.

Default Re: Discuss Attendance and Reason for Dismissal for Activity Group

Quote Quoting University concerns
    View Post

Can a university professor discuss attendance with another student, who complained about special attendance arrangements made prior to semester beginning with the instructor (DOCUMENTED). This was all discussed without my knowledge or consent. The instructor then refused to honor his agreement and caused me a loss of scholarship.
    I believe that this is something that you need to follow up the chain of command at your university.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting University concerns
    View Post

While I agree with the above reply I would add that if your attendance demonstrates favoritism, or violates the terms of a scholarship, you may run into issues. University doesn't have the same rules and requirements that HS does. Professors have greater latitude.

As to the professor rescinding his agreement to your terms: changing ones mind is ones prerogative. IT's possible that the other students complaints had merit and that the professor was simply persuaded that you were receiving undue favoritism. You are not guaranteed scholarships, loans, grants or any form of subsidy for higher education, you have to obtain and retain these on your own merit.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

I do not disagree with anything said on this thread thus far, I actually did contact the dean. My main concern is the discussion of my personal affairs with other students (more than once).

I was participating merely as a benefit to the university. It was in no way connected to my degrees/majors. So as far as special treatment, there is a significant difference between participating and degree seeking in the content area. The extent of special treatment was, I had to arrive late to 3 rehearsals due to time conflicts (with my degree required events). My argument when I contacted the dean was first: I should have been involved or consented to any discussion involving me or arrangements involving me, secondly if students are expected to be "honorable and honest" as the handbook states, than faculty should be required to meet the same or higher standard, and thirdly, if they are requiring 100% participation then that applies to ALL. If this professor is refusing to excuse student for other conflicts, he can not expect faculty to excuse his students. I pointed out the potential disastrous events of this anti-collaborative mindset on a campus of 5000 student, which many participate in a genre of activities that do conflict. I asked that the professor be required to honor his agreement (made 3 months prior to the semester beginning). I was told, I should have spoke to the professor. I had three emails, which I provided, requesting a response to why this was now an issue (had 100% attendance never late, always prepared etc) and why he was not honoring his word. He never answered either question in his responses. I learned at a later date from another student this professor told stating he did not keep his word because of complaints of other students.

I really would like to know where a student's privacy begin and end. Incidentally, this school is developing a reputation for not honoring scholarships and academic arrangements. The students are the ones suffering. I agree that a person can change their mind, but if such changes have negative consequences to the other party their should be some accountability.

So what was the discussion? A fellow student complaining about your poor attendance in this group, followed by acknowledgment by the professor that your attendance was an issue? The facts matter, and nobody can analyze your situation in the abstract.

let me guess -- a marching band commitment that conflicts with classes? I've had one child complete university and one actually in the band at one of the major universities in Texas (Gig'em or Hook'em or Wreck'em or Sic'em....)

That said, the question might be whether the person who gave you the "out" had the authority to do so, especially if in the past they haven't given others an "out". In the end you got special treatment that other students heard about (i.e. you were missing or were late), asked about and the professor had to admit you got special treatment. It was kind of obvious. Can't say they didn't figure it out on their own. I dont' see where you were ever guaranteed privacy especially since your absences could be noted by anyone that was there.

At worst, the professor could have originally just not messed with policy, not give you special treatment and told you no and you still would have lost the scholarship for not being able to participate (many education majors have this issue depending on when they have practicum and student teaching commitments)....

In the end, I don't see where there is much you can do or any kind of recourse you have now. And let's be honest, you were obviously participating for the scholarship money or this wouldn't be a big loss/issue.

There are no laws prohibiting university professors from discussing one student's absences with other students. There may be rules against it at your university, however we have no way of knowing that. If your university has a rule that prohibits professors from talking about their students' absences, then your issue is with the university.

1. Sponsored Links