Angry Can You Garnish Your Ex-Husband’s SSDI for Long Term Arrears Alimony

My question involves a marriage in the state of: California
    I have a wage assignment from two yrs ago while my ex was employed. I served a certified copy myself on the local SS office and received two months of 900. per month. The money stopped coming in because SDU says I don’t have a valid case, also because I served the garnishment on SS myself. My lawyer says it’s valid.
    i have no idea what to do next.

Default Re: Garnishing Ex Husbandís SSI for Long Term Arrears Alimony

How about not using the initials and just tell us who SDU is. I think it is the State Disbursement Unit. But think the time you would have saved.

If the State Disbursement Unit told me they didn't have a valid case I would think they meant they didn't have a valid child support order. Because orders have case number on them. I don't think they would use that word to say there was something wrong about the service on an otherwise valid "case."

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    How about not using the initials and just tell us who SDU is. I think it is the State Disbursement Unit. But think the time you would have saved.

If the State Disbursement Unit told me they didn't have a valid case I would think they meant they didn't have a valid child support order. Because orders have case number on them. I don't think they would use that word to say there was something wrong about the service on an otherwise valid "case."
    It’s an alimony issue if that makes any difference.

Your ex does not receive SSI. SSI is welfare for the disabled. The max monthly benefits for SSI in 2018 are $750 a month. He receives SSDI. Who were the two checks or direct deposit from ?

This is my first time here. Thank you for your input.

They were issued by the treasury garnished from ex's social security. I've called my local SS office so many times and have gotten so many different answers it makes my head spin.
    I'm going up to courthouse Monday to see if they can shed any light on this at all.
    I'm so confused I don't know where to start.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    It’s an alimony issue if that makes any difference.
    It probably does. Though I didn't realise the state of California was in the business of enforcing alimony payments like the do child support.

You need a new wage garnishment issued specifically for the SSDI benefits.

Quote Quoting dotaged
    View Post

They were issued by the treasury garnished from ex's social security. I've called my local SS office so many times and have gotten so many different answers it makes my head spin.
    I'm going up to courthouse Monday to see if they can shed any light on this at all.
    While it may help to visit the courthouse in person to get info and documents, its the SS office that you need to visit in person to try to straighten this out.

Quote Quoting dotaged
    View Post

The court will likely tell you to speak with an attorney, as they are not allowed to do anything that could be viewed as "giving legal advice".

I have called, and visited for the last 14 days. Once, they said they needed something from the court. Isn't that what a court order is? Another time, I was told there needed to be some kind of state reference number. Another time, I was told my lawyer needed to submit the order to Court Ordered Garnishment System. I had thought the State Distribution Unit was for child support. When this all started, I was initially told the State Distribution Unit said I had no case. When I researched it, and found it was child support, I came back to them and told them I hadn't been getting child support for 20 yrs. That was when they came up with something new.
    I feel like there was a big mistake made by them, and they're trying to cover it up any way they can.

1. Sponsored Links