Default Unfair Grading of International Students

It is the final exam season, now I was very upset.

First of all, I am a foreign student in a PHD program. I took a course whose final grade is given based on the weighted total points you got for the homeworks, 2 exams and 1 final, in total 400 points. The instructor gave me a B since I got 280 in total while the cut off line of A is 300 she claimed. The instructor is also a foreigner, assistant professor.
    While at the same time, she gave several domestic students who scored around 200, one as low as 170 Bs.

I wish you guys agree that this is not well scaled, otherwise, please skip my story.

I first request a curve to A, then he claimed that in this case, she would have to give two more As to other two students,even more, she already submitted the grades.

OK, now, Can I complain to the graduate school for the following reasons:

1 She decided the scale in her own way, not following her syllabus, neither for A or B, she decided the criterion in the last min.

2 I think she gave curved Bs to domestic students since she is afraid of pressures from her side.

3 she could be accused of racial based, my law school friend told me.

Any input is appreciated.

Default Re: Can I complain to the graduate school for my case ?

Quote Quoting needhelpforme
    View Post
    It is the final exam season, now I was very upset.

First of all, I am a foreign student in a PHD program. I took a course whose final grade is given based on the weighted total points you got for the homeworks, 2 exams and 1 final, in total 400 points. The instructor gave me a B since I got 280 in total while the cut off line of A is 300 she claimed. The instructor is also a foreigner, assistant professor.
    While at the same time, she gave several domestic students who scored around 200, one as low as 170 Bs.

I wish you guys agree that this is not well scaled, otherwise, please skip my story.

I first request a curve to A, then he claimed that in this case, she would have to give two more As to other two students,even more, she already submitted the grades.

OK, now, Can I complain to the graduate school for the following reasons:

1 She decided the scale in her own way, not following her syllabus, neither for A or B, she decided the criterion in the last min.

2 I think she gave curved Bs to domestic students since she is afraid of pressures from her side.

3 she could be accused of racial based, my law school friend told me.

Any input is appreciated.
    For #1 & 2: Yes, you can request a meeting with her department head to present your concerns in a calm, mature manner. Make sure you bring copies of your work, grades, and syllabus with you. Are any of the other students willing to support your claims?

If her department head cannot/will not help, you can always take it up the ladder to the Dean. Also, find out what to do to appeal your grade.

For #3: I would think that's difficult and time consuming to prove. However, I am not a lawyer, so stay tuned and maybe one will be by with a better answer.

1. Sponsored Links