Default Can a Debt Collector Legally Access Your Credit Report

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Virginia

I have a debt with a Verizon. That was a bill from almost 4 years ago. I just recently found that it showed up on my credit report. I called in to do a dispute as i wanted paperwork. I was sent paperwork as proof and can see the debt is mine. I wanted to pay it of with a settlement so i call the collector, profession bureau of collections of maryland.

I talked to them and they verified some info then asked me first if they could get permission to give me automated calls for about my debt. I knew i was being recorded and told them NO. Then i told them a amount i would be willing to settle the account, with around the next time i get paid.

The collector then tells me i have more money then i let on. That i have "this credit card" that definitely has a balance on it and i need to pay them "this amount" to settle the account. I was thinking this was going to be a quick call so i had started the call at work and i could see they were going to start causing problems. So told them i have to talk later and hung up.

The thing is this company should not be having access to my banking info and credit report and using it against me. I believe that this is a violation of the FCRA rules. That my credit report can only be pulled by utility companies, landlords, and under certain circumstances. Are they violating rules? What should my next move be?

Default Re: Pbcm Violations of Fcra or FDCPA

I believe a creditor can access your credit history in order to collect a debt.

Default Re: Pbcm Violations of Fcra or FDCPA

Guess i shouldve just done more research. thanks
    Quote Quoting Why can a debt collector see my credit report?
    There are a number of different businesses and agencies that can see your credit report without your explicit consent: a potential landlord, a car insurance company drawing up a quote, a lender looking to preauthorize you for a credit card — or, thanks to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, debt collectors."

1. Sponsored Links